Welding basics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding basics

For those that have a welder but no idea how to use it, how do you start? Where do you set the dials?
    Any other info is always appreciated.

:confused:
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

What kind of welder?
    mig
    stick
    tig
    For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

I set it all over the place and tried it with different materials/rods. After I found what worked best that's how I (try to) set it.

Comment

Burn it till it holds!!!

JK

You need to practice and get used to the welder try different settings etc..

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

Here is the way mine were set last time I used them..The AirCo is a 230Amp Arc welder and the Lincoln is the 175Amp Mig..Both are 230volt machines..
          Click on the pic for a larger view..

Miamisburg,Ohio. Cell# 937-361-7267
          90XJ Limited 4x4,4.0 Auto,NP242
          Rustys 4.5" lift D30/D35,3.55 gears
          Denman Farmhand Tractor Tires 33x9.50x16
          Work in progress
          http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0XJ%20Limited/

1986 Chevy M1008 4x4 CUCV 5/4 Ton Truck
          350ci,400turbo,D60 Front,14Bolt w/Detroit Rear
          4.56 Gears, Desert Tan C.A.R.C. Paint.
          http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...0M1008%20CUCV/

Comment

Well right now I have a 110 clark mig with flux core but no idea where to start.

Comment

Get you a bunch of 1/8-1/4 inch plate , clean and prep your area to be welded and start making some test pieces. Learn what each power/wire speed setting does to the "look" of the weld , learn how important gun angle and position is as well as direction.

Comment

Never weld with your battery connected :( in your vehicle and you may want to disconnect the computer too:o
                sigpic

Comment

Here is a good bb for welding questions and projects.
                  http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtalk/index.php

Comment

Never weld with your battery connected in your vehicle and you may want to disconnect the computer too

Just recently we used my Jeep and several batteries to weld on the trail with some jumper cables and we didnt have any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                      Never weld with your battery connected :( in your vehicle and you may want to disconnect the computer too:o
                      I know you've had problems (that was you tha thad to get a whole new harness, right?) but I have been welding on my & my buddys Jeeps for a while now w/o disconnecting anything. I just make sure I got a good ground very close to where I'm welding.

Comment

999 time out of 1000 you won't have any issue, but that 1 in the 1000 is a costly one. There is a reason that the first line of any repair in any haynes manual starts with "disconnect the positive cable of the batter."

Comment

I thought of this thread yesterday at work after I saw the mechanic welding something while it was sitting on the back of his truck.

Just wondering if the welder sitting on the truck made a difference or not. I have a battery shut off so I try to turn it off when I weld on mine. I have stuck an arc on it without the battery disconected, but would rather be safe than sorry.

Comment

if you are trying to mig weld;
                            you should try to push the puddle
                            -better looking weld is the main reason,
                            -most people push for sheetmetal,pull for plate steel
                            -it is easier to control,
                            -see your work while welding is better in my opinion

and if you ever go and try to get a mig welding job
                            and you pull the puddle, well you won't get the job
                            unless it is flux core wire
                            decent article below
                            http://www.customrodder.com/tech/060...ger/index.html
                            For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

looks like this video mite help
                              i had the volume turned down
                              not sure what he said
                              he has other video's
                              http://www.expertvillage.com/videos/...-lap-joint.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X