How-to build an out building

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How-to build an out building

Wondering what the beginning steps are to building a small (30'x30') out building? Things like , how close to my existing house or septic system it can be? Do I need to have a paved driveway to it if it has a large entry door? I have a couple acres of land but due to my house placement and the hilly lay of my property I have a small spot to work with.

I don't know if this changes anything but I plain on putting my concrete slab/footer down first then building an all steel building later , hopefully spreading my cost out over multpul years.

In Hamilton Co. by the way!

Thanks, Jeff

Better go to the zoning department and get their list of rules and they should send someone out if you need to answer questions and go over your site. When you get it done and you have empty space inside let me know and I will bring some stuff over to fill it up! Good luck!
    sigpic

Comment

A bulldozer or skid steer will level out any of you hills except around your septic tank and leach field. then you could put the building where you want it.

Comment

Jeff,

Let me know when I can come help...

In our house hunting, I've had this exact question in mind.
        brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
        Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Hey, Jeff.

As you can imagine, most out buildings without electric service are built without a permit or inspections. This is not ok, but it happens all the time. I recommend against it. It just takes one anonymous call from a neighbor and you're in the soup.

So, start by checking out teh Hamilton County Building Department web page at:

http://www.hamiltoncountyohio.gov/hcbi/default.asp

Then, figure out whst jurisdiction you fall under and go from there. If its one administered by the County, like Scot says, go to zoning and talk to them about what you're doing. Find out the rules. Zoning is in the County Admin Building on the NW corner of Court and Main.

Hamilton County inspects the footers (I think) even on outbuildings, so you want to start off right. Of course, if you have electric, you need an inspection to connect service.

So you might as well comply with the whole thing. Remember that they charge you for the permit based on the cost of the work, so you tell them you are doing all the work yourself and you're gonna spend about $1000.

Good luck!

PS, I have some junk to bring over too!
          Unimog 406
          XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

Working...
          X