Suggestions on Drivetrain swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions on Drivetrain swap

Looking for suggestions on rebuild of my YJ. I picked up an HPD44 with Ox and D60 with Detroit from Hardluck friend for a good price. I was planning on regearing and running a flipped D300 on my YJ, but got to thinking today about not regearing and running an atlas. I will be running 37-38 tires AX-15 and 4.0

ORIGINAL PLAN
    – Regear both axles to 5.13 and flip D300 - Gears and install kits ($550) ,D300 ($150), D300 Flip Kit ($550), Gear Installation ($200), Clocking ring ($100) = Total of $1550 for a Crawl ratio of 51:1

TODAYS CONTEMPLATIONS!
    – Leave axles at 4.10 and buy atlas 3.8 or 4.3 - Cost $2000, Crawl of 60:1.

It would only cost me and addition $450 and would save a ton of time and hassle with re-gearing and flipping the D300.

I know overdrive would never ever be used but how underpowered would I be when not in low range? How bad do you think taking off from a stop would be? This is not a daily driver, but I do want it to be driveable on the road at 55-65 mph

Let me know what you think

Thanks
    Josh
    Last edited by JeepHD; 10-08-2007, 03:18 PM.
    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

I know I can't answer your question posted above, but you're also gonna have to account for a few other expenses into either scenario. (driveshafts, axle perches/mounts, rims, etc) Are you planning a gas tank relocation & wheelbase stretch also? This kind of project can add up real quickly.

Comment

Atlas is looking good. Are you running stock 30 and 35 axles now? If so you may want to go with stronger axles but if not run the atlas or the stak and have front and rear dig capability and sell the 300.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
        I know I can't answer your question posted above, but you're also gonna have to account for a few other expenses into either scenario. (driveshafts, axle perches/mounts, rims, etc) Are you planning a gas tank relocation & wheelbase stretch also? This kind of project can add up real quickly.
        Yep, fully aware there are lots of other expenses. Thought I had it planned out when I got to thinking about transfer case/gearing options, and that's reason for the questions. I have a most of the parts purchased/and or priced. Overall, the project is going to cost upwards of 4-5k range, but I got about 3k out of the drivetrain and wheels and other parts I had. Not going to lengthen the wheelbase yet. Hopefully the 60 will custom clearance itself on the skid plate without too many problems.

Stak4x4 monstor boxes are also an option that I am looking into.

Thanks for the response
        1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
          Atlas is looking good. Are you running stock 30 and 35 axles now? If so you may want to go with stronger axles but if not run the atlas or the stak and have front and rear dig capability and sell the 300.
          Was running 4.10s, 33s, D30 front Aussied, and an 8.8 rear. I already have the HPD44 and D60 that is going in, and is what initiated this rebuild!

Just started checking on the Stak boxes. I will be comparing them with the atlas.

Thanks for the input
          1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

go with the Tcase gearing. not only will it be easier, but stronger as well (depending on if you upgrade gears on the 300 or not.)

go with the stak, but im biased, and havent even run mine yet.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
              go with the Tcase gearing. not only will it be easier, but stronger as well (depending on if you upgrade gears on the 300 or not.)

go with the stak, but im biased, and havent even run mine yet.
              Who did you purchase your stak thru? Or are you a vendor for them. Just looking for a good price.

Thanks
              1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

I went through them directly for quick service. Carwash knows em pretty well too!
                sigpic

Comment

Well I am leaning toward a Stak or Atlas and leaving the axle gearing at 4.10 for now. I know it will be pretty weak on power in road gear for now but I can always change the axles down the road sometime. Should I go with the 3.8 or 4.3 gearing in the t-case?
                  1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

4.3 or the 3 speed stak and have multiple ranges! 3.73 or 4.10 ratio is said to be the strongest for a 44 or 60. Pinion still has some girth!
                    sigpic

Comment

4.3 or the 3 speed stak and have multiple ranges! 3.73 or 4.10 ratio is said to be the strongest for a 44 or 60. Pinion still has some girth!
                      What did your 3-speed stak run you? I probably stick with the two speed due to cost
                      1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

I also would buy a stak or atlas for the money you would be spending...I would also regear to 4:56 OR 5:13
                        sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

Originally posted by jeepmanjeff View Post
                          I also would buy a stak or atlas for the money you would be spending...I would also regear to 4:56 OR 5:13

That's just the thing. Budget is not going to accomodate both the case and gearing. It's either gear the axles and flip the case, or leave the axles alone and get the low geared atlas or stak.

Thanks
                          1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

$2900 with options and shipping last year.
                            sigpic

Comment

$2900 with options and shipping last year.

Thanks, I will be staying with the two speed.
                              1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X