Building a mild SBC 350

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a mild SBC 350

I'm going to be starting a long term project on my 4Runner. I'm going to yank the V6 and put in a Chevy 350. I plan on finding a cheap stock donor 350 and rebuilding it to maybe 225-275hp. I've never rebuilt a motor. This will be a learning experience for me. I'll do it in my spare time in the garage. Main focus here is CHEAP. I'll sell my V6 to buy some parts for the 350.

Any reccomendations on inexpensive performance parts? Any tips or tricks? Junkyard performance heads or anything like that? I'm going carb for now, maybe EFI in the future. I see a bunch of stuff in the Summit catalog, I just don't know what I should get. Of course I want good low torque, but a little top end won't hurt. This won't be a daily driver. Just a weekend toy.

One last thing. Any good rebuilding manuals? Something that goes step by step?

I'm going to use an Advance Adapters bellhousing to keep my stock trans and transfer.
    88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Barnes and noble has a whole bunch of books on the popular 350 buildups. If you decide on a ford, dodge or amc build I have books you can borrow.
    sigpic

Comment

you may have the books scott but someone else always does the work LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by OH-cj5 View Post
        you may have the books scott but someone else always does the work LOL!
        That's some funny stuff there.....
        I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Ohcj4 you are sooooo funny! I built an 11hp briggs and stratton once when I was 13. How about that?
          sigpic

Comment

LOL but did it run? ok i have my blind fold on hand me the briggs motor so i can put it together for you scott LOL come on i'm just busting your chopps lets quit steeling this guys thread

Comment

with the HP numbers you are looking for you can purchase a TBI 350 out of the junk yard and not touch it . you will spend much more rebuilding one then you can purchase one for if you look for a good deal. you can find deals right around the 300-500 dollar mark all the time and alot of the yards will let you take the donor vehicle with you and bring it back when you are done yanking the motor , harness , ECM ......... if you are on a tighter budget then that , then I would suggest trying to find a 305 TBI motor out of a 90's Camaro or Truck .
              Last edited by sarge; 10-09-2007, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X