ok, so WTF is this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ok, so WTF is this?

I finally drug the mystery axle that was left in my yard when I moved in around to the front of the garage (that fugger is heavy). I even took some photos of it. Can someone help me identify it???

It has an 8-lug bolt pattern & 8 little bolts in the hub. The (SUA) spring perches are angled to the side. The diff cover has 10 bolts in 2 different sizes.

OLD MILITARY ROCKWELL AXLE? :confused:
    sigpic

Comment

It looks like photos #8 & #9 on this page:
      http://www.blackbirdscustomtrucks.com/index5.html

What does that mean it is???

Comment

An old eaton rear axle maybe. Expensive and maybe more difficult to find parts on. I'll bet the ratio is low!
        sigpic

Comment

hit it with the sand blaster and see whats inside
          I believe this will be our finest hour

Comment

Looks to me like a 60's GM Eaton axle
            78 CJ-7, 350 V8, T-18a Tranny, Twin Stick Dana 300, Scout 44's, 4.27 Gears, 36" TSL's, Welded rear and Full Spool Front, Hi-Steer with GM Knuckles

Comment

Yup looks like a eaton. Pretty strong but very hard to find parts for.
              91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

eaton, worth about it's weight in scrap... unless you have the matching front.

Comment

It's an old Eaton axle out of an 60-70's era Chevy/GM pickup that used the trailing arm style suspension.

They are generally known to be pretty stout and often come with 4.56 or 5.13 gears, and sometimes a Detroit. I've seen lots of guys running these in fullsize trucks with no issues. But as already mentioned it's getting pretty hard to find parts for.

Not quite sure what the "unless you have the matching front" comment means??? It should be a fairly common width and standard 8-lug pattern which matches just about any 8-lug front axle, not like it has a funky bolt pattern like some of the old military axles.

Comment

so what are you going to do with the axle now that you know what it is?

It can come and join all my axle at my house lol

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
                      It's an old Eaton axle out of an 60-70's era Chevy/GM pickup that used the trailing arm style suspension.

They are generally known to be pretty stout and often come with 4.56 or 5.13 gears, and sometimes a Detroit. I've seen lots of guys running these in fullsize trucks with no issues. But as already mentioned it's getting pretty hard to find parts for.

Not quite sure what the "unless you have the matching front" comment means??? It should be a fairly common width and standard 8-lug pattern which matches just about any 8-lug front axle, not like it has a funky bolt pattern like some of the old military axles.
                      thought it was a funky ratio.

Comment

Originally posted by kyrel69 View Post
                        so what are you going to do with the axle now that you know what it is?

It can come and join all my axle at my house lol
                        Not sure what I'l ldo with it, I want to clean it up & look inside & see if all is ok or not. It has been sitting outside for a few years, so all may not be well.

Comment

the track bar mount-looking thing and angled "perches" prolly mean it was froma coil-equipped c20. i wouldnt scrap it-it may well be worth something to someone with that era truck. 67-72 era trucks and parts are certainly getting harder to find.

what ever happened with this? did you open it up?
                          scotty

85 grand wagoneer(whats left of it)
                          77 scout II truggy
                          84 chevy "home made crewcab"

Delightfully Tacky,Yet Unrefined

Comment

While Were On The Subject Of Mystery Axles Ive Got One For Yall. Rght Now Its On A Small Boat Trailer I Have. Its Only About 4' Wide At Most (and Shows No Signs Of Being Shortened), Has A Square Diff Housing, The Axle Shafts Are Threaded On The OUTER Ends With A Keyway And Use A Crown Nut And Cotter Pin To Hold The Hub On, 4lug, And 12" Rims. Aint Got No Pics Of It At The Moment But Can Take Some If Anyone Might Have A Guess.
                            sigpic
                            REMEMBER WHEN GAS USED TO ONLY COST AN ARM AND A LEG???

Comment

Tractor axle

Comment

Working...
                              X