Front dana60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front dana60

Nothing set in stone yet. I'm still working on the details. Has anyone tried to SUA a Dana60? Was there major clearance issues? I'm thinking to model a new rig as my last one low and stable but with a heavier axle. I don't recall ever seeing a front D60 SUA has anyone here tried it?

It will be going into a 91 4cyl wrangler and I will be doing the NP435 swap again. Or I may trade it in on a newer TJ I'm tring to decide what I want to do.

Heck what I want to do is throw a two strap in it and hit the woods. I miss wheeling.

one major issue is going to be the spring mounts that are cast into the pumpkin. One of the sides (depending on your drop) has 2 of the spring plate bolts cast and threaded into the center chunk. The spring perch is part of the cast as well... Let me try to find a pic...

Comment

get what i'm saying?

Comment

Got it. That kind of blows. Is that true for every/most D60?

Comment

No not so. The 1994 to 2004 dodge dana 60's have no spring perch holes in the casting but are drivers side drops. I hope that helps you.
          sigpic

Comment

My question would be how low do you want it, and what size tires? I would presume if you need a D60 on a 4-banger Jeep than you are at least looking at tires in the 37-40" range. Even with a common SOA lift (maybe 5") that a Jeep on full width axles and 37-40" tires is still pretty squatty looking.

Comment

In my opinion, which probably doesn't count for much, the only true 60's are kingpin, which rules out your dodge garbage..

do your SOA with stock springs, or worn out springs...

Comment

Unit bearings resist debris better, 32 splines stock, etc... Quicker on most trail repairs also. Kingpin 60's are nice though but I get dodge 94 up 60's for 1/2 the price but now people are catching on to their value and price is on its way up now. GO MOPAR!
                Last edited by 94Dodge Truggy; 11-15-2007, 10:42 AM. Reason: HeeHee
                sigpic

Comment

I like squatty. I much prefer to slide down a hill than tumble. I’m hoping to go with a 40" tire. Sua leaf front, coil sprung linked rear with some messaged body panels for clearance. 2.5L, NP435, Dana300 or NP205 depending on what 60 I find for the right price.

Finally what I want to do is beat the snot out of it. As hard as I rode my last jeep I was always concerned about snapping axles. This time it's going to cry before I quit.

Comment

You will find it hard to break the dana 60 front with 98HP. lurking under the hood! You should get great trail mileage though! Bottle feed the 4cyl!
                    sigpic

Comment

Glad to see you're getting back on the horse Paul... Saw your rig without you at Haspin not too long ago and almost shead a tear...

Nice pick on the trans.. but I guess you were figuring out that 4cyl/435 connection looooong before I was even in this game...

Still not sure about your fascination with SUA... I'm with CW... snag some old springs, and that thing will FLEX with that much unsprung weight... ask me how I know.
                      brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
                      Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

My Jeep is SOA with stock Yj springs. I am very stable and flex very well. All you need is a good traction bar and you will be just fine.

Another note- To this day my Dana 44 front has never given me any issues. I dont know how I havent snapped axles. I am going to go with a set of chromoly axles here real soon and not worry about it anymore. I would find a 44. The 60 gives you peace of mind, but I am far from easy on my Jeep.

I will get you some pics on here.
                        91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Now you jinxed yourself really good itbrokeagain! I have been running SOA on the rear of truggy for 4 years with no traction bar at all and have had good luck with the wrapping. Set up and low arch can be the key sometimes!
                          sigpic

Comment

Front60

whats wrong with Dodge.......my D-60 thats for sale is king pin.....1970's
                            though.....Nowa

Comment

i don't mind a 70's dodge 60... and by the way, that's a good deal on your axles for sale, im surprised you haven't sold them.

Comment

Working...
                              X