Necessary to cut off runflats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Necessary to cut off runflats?

Is it really necessary to cut the runflats off of the hummer beadlocks to run 38x12.50x16.5s? I am just being lazy and it looks like it will be a pain to cut them off.

I have heard of them rubbing and tearing up the inside of tire at low PSI.

Thanks
    Josh
    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Less weight if cut off and they can get in the way of tire flex. I am not sure if they will work with both a 6 or an 8 ply tire though. They are magnesium so don't do anything that will make them burn!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
      Less weight if cut off and they can get in the way of tire flex. I am not sure if they will work with both a 6 or an 8 ply tire though. They are magnesium so don't do anything that will make them burn!
      I mounted one of the TSLs on a rim last night just to check it out. Seemed to mount up nicely. I just don't really feel like cutting the runflat portion off, but I probably should. Also I don't have a band saw so I will have to do it with a sawzall and it doesn't look like it will be very easy.

Thanks
      1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

weight... ha, thats funny truggy... the things weigh next to nothing...

but, yes i would cut them off running anything less that a 40" tire. they are quite brittle and crack if hit just right. when the crack, they create sharp edges that will cut a tire.

when i ran my 39.5" boggers, i kept about 5 psi in them and every once in a while on a hard hit, i would feel it hit. Don't think i ever cracked one, but never had them apart to check either, so who knows.

I am cutting my current ones, and i'm gonna be running 44's. Bette safe than sorry i guess. They will cut fairly easy with a sawzall blade. Just get you some super long Milwaukee "torch blades" and it will roll thru it pretty easy. you will have to use a grinder as well to get them down close.

here is a shot of some shaved runflats for inspiration...

Comment

I am a fanatic on weight savings! But what about the 6 or 8 ply tire. Will the hummer runflat insert accommodate either?
          sigpic

Comment

I was pretty sure I needed to cut them, just didn't want to hassle with it. Guess I will get some long sawzall blades and go at it. My TSLs are 6 ply and the one I mounted went on fine.
            1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

But does it really hold the tire on the rim? I ran a flat once and had a tire damn near peeled off the rim over various obstacles and it never came off. I wonder with different tire thicknesses if the clamping is more or less.
              sigpic

Comment

But does it really hold the tire on the rim? I ran a flat once and had a tire damn near peeled off the rim over various obstacles and it never came off. I wonder with different tire thicknesses if the clamping is more or less.
                I will check the bead thickness differences between the TSLs and the Military OZs to see how much difference there is.

It looked and felt like it was clamping on the tire good.

Question. I could probably sell my 8 bolts and pick up some 12 bolts (located some locally) with the rubber runflats for an extra $150. I wouldn't have to cut the runflat and I would get the thicker outer ring on the 12 bolt. I would cost about $100 for the rock rings to strengthen up the outer ring of the 8 bolts. Thoughts?
                1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

This guy just cut his runflats, maybe you can get ideas here:
                  http://www.mv4w.com/modules.php?name...iewtopic&t=202

Comment

Let's burn 'em!!

I'm sure someone will have a campfire in the next few months, let's see how well these things burn! Do you remember playing with magnesium ribbon in Chet's class? That crap burns BRIGHT!!!

BiggDaddy
                    '82 CJ-7, 6" lift, stock axles
                    258, 35x15.50x15 TSL/SX
                    Rustoleum Gray

Comment

Originally posted by BiggDaddy View Post
                      I'm sure someone will have a campfire in the next few months, let's see how well these things burn! Do you remember playing with magnesium ribbon in Chet's class? That crap burns BRIGHT!!!

BiggDaddy
                      Your's so helpful. I have read that they are a magnesium alloy, and are not as flammable as pure mag.

Maybe you should spend more time getting that grey goose flying again instead of playing on the internet, so that you can "try" to follow me on the trails this spring!
                      1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
                        This guy just cut his runflats, maybe you can get ideas here:
                        http://www.mv4w.com/modules.php?name...iewtopic&t=202
                        Thanks, I am going to give it a try with the sawzall tonight. Unless I decide to pick up some 12 bolts on the way home.

Later
                        1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

I need some hummer rims. I will machine off the runflats for you for a good deal on some rims!
                          sigpic

Comment

I need some hummer rims. I will machine off the runflats for you for a good deal on some rims!
                            I only have one set right now. Thinking about going with some 12 bolts I found close to get the benefit of the thicker rim and the rubber runflat. I will make the decision today and let you know.

So what is the new build going to be? Going to us the truggy and just make some changes? Have you guys put together any kind of schedule of trail rides for 08'
                            1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Our 08 schedule will be decided tonight at the officers meeting. The rubber runflats are better? Are they lighter? If you know where I can get some rims let me know.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X