Machine Shop Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine Shop Work

I am signed up for a machining class here at UC and I pretty have a free run of what I want to do so long as its machining stuff

Any ideas on small(er) machining projects? I am thinking of making a spare tire carrier hinge with bearings and such. Something else I want to make is tube clamps to attach a ram onto a tierod for hydro assist. If anybody wants something let me know and we can figure something out (cover cost of materials).

AARON
    91 MJ Under construction

Are you taking classes for fun or are you thinking of buying equipment for a home shop or career change?

If you think you might be doing machining again after your class is over consider building tools that will make future projects easier. Things like V-blocks, machinist vise, angle plates , 1-2-3 blocks, sine bar...etc are very useful when your shills get more advanced.

Hell when I was in high-school shop class all we made where pot pipes and num-chucks (sp?)... if I would have known I was going to spend the next 20 years working in machine shops I would have applied my self..

Jeff

Comment

your made a very good choice to study. i run a fadal 88hs vertical cnc machine at work. been runnin it for over two years now. all pretty well self taught with a lil help from my supervisor. ive often thought about taking classes to learn more but current life style wont allow for it. some projects you might wanna think of are basic yet mildly complex, such as hi-steer brackets, suspension mounts, and stuff like that. and as jeff said, make yourself some basic type tools. youll be susprised what comes in handy when machining. hell ive got a whole draw full of various lenghts of 1/2-13 rod that i constantly use. and if you break a long tap or center drill, save them!! youll be susprised the different types of punches and chisles you can make outa these. also if your using chuck jaws to hold materals, a set of jack blocks and some c-clamps help to save your jaws from tool damage. chuck jaws vary in hardness and are almost always harder than stock steel, and it dont take much if a tool hits one to crash the machine and scrap the part.
      sigpic
      REMEMBER WHEN GAS USED TO ONLY COST AN ARM AND A LEG???

Comment

Heres some of my life story...
        I am currently a Technical Direction grad school at the College Conservatory of Music (CCM) at UC. I went to undergrad for technical theater and came here for grad school. For anybody who doesnt know theater, a designer comes up with what he wants the set for a show to look like (think of an architect), and the technical director makes it structural (think of an engineer). The reason I want to take the machine class is there can be a lot of mechanical crap in a show like motors driving platforms, motorized tracks, trick pieces of hardware that you just cant find in a hardware store, etc...The list really goes on. Knowing how and being able to machine parts will help me build these items in house keeping the cost down, or at the very least help me talk with a machinist/shop in what I want done. Being able communicate in the correct language goes a long ways in getting what you want done the way you want ;)

So the goal of the class is first to get me some credit for my masters, I am sticking with theater and machine knowledge will help me in the theatrical profession (see above list). But I also want to expand my arsenal of knowledge to apply into the automotive/offroad world. I have been tinkering with cars with my dad as far back as I can remember. Didnt have a whole lot of money to pay a mechanic to do it, so we pulled out the FSM and started reading then wrenching. Also having a crusty old school mechanic as a neighbor/friend helped my dad and I along. I have a few ideas on some stuff for mine but am open to other ideas. I have worked part time for 5 years and then full time over the summer at Carolina Rock Shop in Charlotte, NC. There I worked on projects ranging from the average bolt on lift kits, building bumpers, rock rails, skid plates, cages, designing/building custom 3 and 4 link suspensions, and a select few full on custom tube chassis buggys. I am almost done with my own Jeep which started out as a Comanche but has transformed into part buggy…
        Thanks for the ideas guys, keep them coming :)
        AARON
        Last edited by MrShoeBoy; 01-12-2008, 04:40 PM.
        91 MJ Under construction

Comment

If I where you I would consider making some fab tools , you can't go wrong learning some basic machining and feeding your hobby at the same time.

Things like tube notchers and benders or dimple dies can make a fun machining project.

Jeff

Comment

seems your well on your way then. if your tryin to find ideas for projects regarding your theater stuff, just look at what you are already using, how it works, how you can make it work different, and go from there. im always finding ways at work to do parts different. currently im writing a program to drill and mill bolt slots in an adapter, we've always done these on the table and mill before, takes about 45min to do one part. but hopefully after i get the program done i can just put the part in my cnc, press start and stand back for 3 or 4 minutes while the machine does all the work.
            sigpic

Comment

ok so a list of projects so far:
              -V blocks
              -machinist vice
              -angle plates
              -1-2-3 blocks
              -sine bar
              -tube notcher
              -dimple dies
              -tube clamps
              -jack blocks

Where would you guys recommend getting a dial caliper at? I have always used the one at the shop or this really old one my dad has but never gotten my own. I have no idea what to look for as for as quality is concerned. Recomendations?

Thanks,
              AARON
              91 MJ Under construction

Comment

well.... if i was you
                i guess i would make a tubing bender
                when you take them apart they are
                not that large
                For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

So you have a tubing bender I can get some measurements off of? I have used one many-a-time, just not so sure I can pull drawings out memory on how to build one.

AARON
                  91 MJ Under construction

Comment

bring pen and paper
                    For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

i have a tape measure made by Lufkin

Comment

for your caliper question. i would look into a good set of dial style ones. thats mainly what we use at work. we have a few pairs of the digital ones floating aroud, but have found them to be off by a few thousandths more frequently than the dial version. plus with the dials, if they are off all you need is a paperclip to zero them back in. as far as brand, i cant remember what brands we use, but ive noticed alot of them being some japan brand. if i remember monday ill write some down. also before i forget, i know most are set up like this, but try to get some that do outer and inner thicknesses as well as depth. they also make a lil "shoe" thing that goes on them to help measure depth alot easier.
                        sigpic

Comment

The best bang for the buck on measuring tools would Mitutoyo , but don't count out Browne&Sharp or Starrett.... all top of the line , and you pay for quality!

There's been 1 cagillion threads on this and other forums about non-professional machinists needing top quality measuring tools, you make the call.

I myself never buy tool of any kind that I think will last me a year or two.

Jeff

Comment

Hey Shoeboy, does UC have night classes in the machining area? Just finished my BS and was heading off in the machinist area myself. I am mostly self taught with a fair shop of my own out back, but I know formal training would fill in a few gaps in my process line. With the degree out of the way it's time to learn things I want to know as opposed to things they think I need to know.

For that matter does anyone have a recommendation of machining night classes in the Cincy area? My current job picks up 100% tuition and books for anything that might cross over to what I do now (aircraft maintenance).
                            There are no stupid questions, but the world is full of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Travis, check out the Great Oaks campuses... I just did my TIG classes there. There were about a million mills and lathes in the bay next to us, so im sure they offer those classes as well.

Let me know when yer doing them, and I may join you.

Comment

Working...
                              X