Reconditioning old flares...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reconditioning old flares...

I have a rig in the shop... customer's rig... doing a ton of work to it... you have seen pics i'm sure, the copper one.

anyway, doing a ton of work to it, to where it all looks damn near brand new inside and out. only problem is the rear flares. They are tj flares, the color used to be black i guess, but now they have weathered to the grayish color that all of them do.

Any way to recondition them to make them black like factory again...?

A heat gun will bring the black back, but keep it away from the paint.

Comment

Stick index cards side by side between the flares and paint. Use newspaper and tape to finish covering the paint. Clean well with rubbing alcohol. Let dry and spray them w/ 2-3 light coats of Krylon Fusion. Fusion is a specially formulated spray paint for plastic.

Comment

well index cards are not necessary, the flares are off the rig, i was just hoping there was some way around it besides paint...

does the heat thing really work, never heard of that...

Comment

Armoral (SP?)
          91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

yeah, that would be a temporary fix tony, but not permanent... also would tend to collect some serious dust on the trail.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
              well index cards are not necessary, the flares are off the rig, i was just hoping there was some way around it besides paint...

does the heat thing really work, never heard of that...
              They say it does...there was some discussion about this over on Jeep Forum. Some of them say peanut butter..yes peanut butter brings it back to black as well.

:confused:

Comment

The heat gun does work, I have never done flares but I did try it on the green plastic hood of my Polaris Ranger. It did bring the green right back.

Comment

I scrubbed mine with simple green and a stiff sidewall brush, they look new.

T
                  There are no stupid questions, but the world is full of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

you oughta come over and scrub jim's then... hahahah

Comment

Working...
                    X