chevy motor/axle swap into a yj

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chevy motor/axle swap into a yj

Hello all, I've got a buddy that is putting a chevy 350 into a yj with some chevy axles.

What we do know
    He's got a '90 yj islander that is puke green/teal colored. He's got the motor, tranny, and xcase mounted in the jeep now. Looks like a dana 44 chevy front axle, and a rear 12 bolt. The 12 bolt has 3.07 gears, but haven't opened up the front yet.

What we don't know for sure
    1. Wondering if we can hack into the yj wiring harness to hook the engine up to the dash etc.., but facing the reality that we will probably have to get a painless kit and use that.

2. Probably going to need some custom driveshafts, but were wondering if anybody knows of any that may work, front or rear.

3. Whether or not we need to shorten the front axle. The rear axle will stay the same length. The front axle though, will need to be shortened by about 1.5-2 inches to center it on the frame and use the cast spring mount in the differential.

4. Whether we can use the same steering setup that is available. Yj box, with either yj tie rod or use the chevy tie rod (probably depends on whether or not we shorten the axle.

This is about it for now, but realize there is still a lot of work to do. Plans are probably to be finished either this fall or next spring, not real sure. Just depends on what needs to be done, and what kind of time and money he has to put into it. thanks for all of your help.

BiggDaddy
    '82 CJ-7, 6" lift, stock axles
    258, 35x15.50x15 TSL/SX
    Rustoleum Gray

You can hack into the stock harness but it will be a very long and tedious task where as the painless wiring will save u time. On the axle just relocate the perches and run a custom offset rims. Plan on having to resize the driveshafts. The painless wiring harness will be money well spent and the dash will be more functional. Good luck!
    sigpic

Comment

post up on miami valley 4 wheelers site . www.mv4w.com

I think it's "teach " on their site that can splice your harness up in an afternoon so it all works just like it did stock .

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
        post up on miami valley 4 wheelers site . www.mv4w.com

I think it's "teach " on their site that can splice your harness up in an afternoon so it all works just like it did stock .
        I don't think Teach can do that but he might.

I have spliced the YJ harness a few times to fit different motors. I spliced the one in Shawn B's YJ that Sarge is thinking about.

What year of chevy motor do you have and do you have the chevy motor harness.
        89 YJ EFI AMC 360, T18a, D20, built D44, 14 bolt, 38" Creepy Crawlers.

Comment

Originally posted by BiggDaddy View Post

3. Whether or not we need to shorten the front axle. The rear axle will stay the same length. The front axle though, will need to be shortened by about 1.5-2 inches to center it on the frame and use the cast spring mount in the differential.

BiggDaddy

If you shorten the front and dont do the rear it will look funny. Usually when truck axles are installed you need to move the front springs to the outside of the frame. Im sure someone here had a pic to post up if you dont know what Im talking about.
          91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike F View Post
            I don't think Teach can do that but he might.

I have spliced the YJ harness a few times to fit different motors. I spliced the one in Shawn B's YJ that Sarge is thinking about.

What year of chevy motor do you have and do you have the chevy motor harness.
            Sorry Mike , I couldn't remember who did Shawns off hand !

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
              If you shorten the front and dont do the rear it will look funny. Usually when truck axles are installed you need to move the front springs to the outside of the frame. Im sure someone here had a pic to post up if you dont know what Im talking about.
              yes, don't shorten the axle, outboard the frame spring mount areas...

Comment

As already mentioned, it would be much simpler to move the front spring mounts then actually shortening the axle, especially for just a couple of inches. I believe there are companies out there that even make kits for this.

Comment

thanks guys

Hey thanks everybody. We'll take this advice and get on with the project. I'll try and snap a few pics next time I'm over so you can see how ugly this thing is. I'm sure I'll have some more questions for you sooner or later too. Thanks again.

BiggDaddy
                  258, 35x15.50x15 TSL/SX
                  Rustoleum Gray

Comment

finally got some pics resized

Here are some pics. Took forever to figure out software to resize them.
                    Attached Files
                    258, 35x15.50x15 TSL/SX
                    Rustoleum Gray

Comment

he get that jeep off craiglist? i seen one on there a while back just like it with the sun lookin thing on the door!! if not it was its twin!!!
                      real trucks dont have spark plugs

Comment

Originally posted by muddinredneck513 View Post
                        he get that jeep off craiglist? i seen one on there a while back just like it with the sun lookin thing on the door!! if not it was its twin!!!
                        He picked it up at a swap meet about 2 years ago. Sat in my barn until recently and hasn't been listed on craiglist.
                        1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

Originally posted by BiggDaddy View Post
                          Here are some pics. Took forever to figure out software to resize them.
                          Front doesn't really look like a 44. Can anyone verify if it is or isn't. Maybe a GM 10 bolt. Are these axles worth using?
                          1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

Craigslist? no.

Nope. It's a package deal they had for a couple of years. I think '90 and'91. Picked up the whole Jeep for $500 and a couple of cj axles.
                            258, 35x15.50x15 TSL/SX
                            Rustoleum Gray

Comment

Appears to be light duty axles. What size and brand tire do you plan on running?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X