Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4WD acting up

have an 86 Bronco
    where would be a good place in Cincinnati to take it to get looked at?
    I want someone to just diagnose the trouble then I'll fix it if I can

Update

I lifted the truck off the ground
    the front drive shaft is turning and the left Axel
    The right Axel is not turning
    do I need to replase the front end

hubs unlocked no grinding
    locked hubs and get a lot of grinding
    Last edited by SixFtUnd; 02-09-2008, 06:37 PM.
    86 Ford Bronco

What is it doing? we will do the best we can
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

well
      it was grinding not wanting to go into 4wd
      thought the transfer case was shot
      I went to the jusnk yard to get another one but first I went out behide there where I drive sometimes and it worked just fine not one problem
      then yesterday I went out and it just didn't seem to be working no grinding or nothing don't know how to explain realy just didn't seem right
      86 Ford Bronco

Comment

My guess is linkage bent or binding up. Also check your engine mounts and tranny mounts to make sure they are good. My friend had a 84 F-250 and no matter what he did the bolts holding the tranny and transfer case together would always back out.

Comment

thanks
          I just had my tires balanced and alignment done on it at Tire Discounters and asked them to look at the linkage they said it looked fine would you trust them at all?
          86 Ford Bronco

Comment

I would but at the same time the guy looking at it might not have any idea what the linkage is supposed to look like.

Comment

if I come to your meeting next month think I could get someone to take a look if I don't get if figured out yet?
              I am rely thinking about joining but I don't have a ride like you guys do
              86 Ford Bronco

Comment

Your Bronco is fine. There is no vehicle requirement. You will have a great time and meet some great people. Dont worry about what you drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Beach View Post
                  I am rely thinking about joining but I don't have a ride like you guys do
                  You don't have to have something hardcore to be a member of CORE. I've got a TJ and the only thing I've done to it is lift it and put 33s under it. Come to the Feb meeting, and decide after. (I offer no advice on the technical aspect since I am still learning as I go. Guys here have been great helping me learn through posts and on runs.)
                  I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Yeah come on out with us! I smashed a 91 bronco silly for 6 months once and turned it into a bronco II from all the beating! They are good trucks.
                    sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a linkage prob. to me also ....

Are the body mounts good ?
                      I had a K5 that would act up ( no 4WD , no 2WD ) with no warning , found that the body mounts were rusted away and the body would roll slightly in a turn and pull the transfer case linkage enough to pull it out of gear. i first lengthened the linkage to fix the problem but after beating the hell out of it off road I ended up having to just put it in 4WD and then disconnect the linkage God I miss wheeling a full sized rig , but they kinda piss off the tree huggers from time to time .

I would suggest you disconnect the linkage at the transfer case and manually put it in 2WD and drive it around . see if you have any problems . then manually put it in 4WD and repeat . if you don't have any problem then you have narrowed it down to the linkage or shifter.
                      Just remember to do this while on flat ground with the wheels chocked !!!

Comment

Working...
                      X