44 vs 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 44 vs 60

Is a 44 front with good u-joints and chromoly shafts as strong as a stock 60? I know r&p will be weaker but what about everything else?
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Ball joints weaker, axle tubes weaker usually, yokes smaller, 5 lug pattern weaker, knuckles weaker. Bigger brakes too!
    Last edited by 94Dodge Truggy; 02-10-2008, 09:37 PM. Reason: fergot somepin
    sigpic

Comment

Come on!! Have you broken it? Has it not stood up to what you have thrown at it? Did you really go Cromoly? I've seen how you drive and frankly the terrain we drive is quite forgiving. If you keep reading pirate4x4 and the listening to the 60 60 60 mantra than you'll be looking for a rockwell soon.

Wheel it and have some fun. If you start breaking parts find a 60. Until then enjoy.

Paul

Comment

i agree with paul, you have the good shafts already. until you start breaking parts, go with it.

Comment

Let's go break it.
          For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

No I dont have chromoly yet. I have stock shafts but I know someone with chromoly blanks and he will cut me a set but I want to know if it will be as strong or should I start considering upgrading bigger. If I can keep what I got thats what I want. I dont want the added weight and lose the clearance.

Oh yea and I have 8 lug axles. I can truss if needed but dont plan on any big air and ball joints are easy enough to change as needed. I just dont want to break shafts. Thats what I am concerned about.
            91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

http://www.terrainstompers.com/forum...hlight=carnage

Comment

you can break anything... you have been doing well on your stock shafts tony... i would chromoly what you got, upgrade later if you want. if you do, you will have some nice chromoly shafts to sell. No problem recouping your money i wouldnt think.

Comment

by the way, what you need is a better cage... call me.

Comment

Working...
                  X