axle narrowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• axle narrowing

well im going to replace the d35 in my tj and put a d60 in but i know the 60 will need to be narrowed so my question is who does this and how much will it hurt my wallet any answers would be greatly appreciated
    98 xj 4.5" lift

It would be easier to just go ahead and replace the front end then it would be to have a 60 narrowed.
    Plus with a special width axle you would also have to get extra "custom"" shafts to match it.

Comment

Why not run a custom offset rim?
      sigpic

Comment

Go full width with offset rims.

Although narrowing a rear isn't as hard as it sounds. Cut the tubes and reweld or replace the tubes entirely. But you need to make sure they are level and square usually requiring a jig. Custom shafts will run between 300 and up per shaft. Do some searching and find the narrowest 60 OEM shaft make sure it's available and narrow the tubes to that length or you'll have to go custom shaft.

Comment

Unless you are ready to upgrade the front axle as well and buy 8 lug rims with larger tires, I would suggest looking for an Ford 8.8. Close to stock width with same 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern as stock.

I am running D60 rear in a YJ and with the backspacing of the H1 rims, it puts it back close to stock. I will actually be getting 2inch spacers to widen it some for stability and to match the width of the front
          1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

513 875 3327. He can cut your axle and re-spline your shafts.
            91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

well im putting a rubicon d44 up front an dwas wanting to put a 60 in the rear but i might just get a d44 out of an redeo its real close to the same length as stock just wondering what it would cost tto do the 60 thanks for the info guys
              98 xj 4.5" lift

Comment

Why not a Ford 8.8 out of an Explorer in the back. It would be a good match for the D44 front. They already have the right wheel bolt pattern, right width, disc brakes, and are stronger than a D44 (8.8" ring gear vs. 8.5", 31-spline shafts vs. 30-splines shafts, etc...). Plus they are easy to find and relatively cheap. The only downside is that if you are keeping the stock 4.10 Rubi gears the 8.8's with 4.10's are not real common.

Not trying to pimp a friend's parts, but I know a guy who should have a complete 8.8 for sale for $250.

Comment

Dan ,

Check around and price an 8.8 , I am also going to give it a bump ! finding one with a 4.10 is not to hard but you can normally find em fairly cheap. Theres a guy on pirate from Michigan that has a good connection for them and will find you one with what ever ratio you need. Just keep in mind there is no carrier break in an 8.8 so if you do find one that is not a 4.10 it's no big deal . mine had 3.73's in it and I got a set of used 4.10's off of jeepforum for $50.00 . If you get one give Carwash a call and have him order you a ruffstuff axle swap kit for it. Their parts are beef and priced right. You'll be able to beat your TJ with up to 37" meats on that 8.8 and not have to worry about it.

Comment

Also, I believe if you want to put a locker in, you need to find one without limited slip. I think the carriers are different for the limited slip setups compared to open.
                    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepHD View Post
                      Also, I believe if you want to put a locker in, you need to find one without limited slip. I think the carriers are different for the limited slip setups compared to open.
                      I'm assuming you meant to say if you wanted to install a "drop-in" locker like a Lock-right or EZ-Locker?? Obviously the carrier is different between an open and limited slip version, but it doesn't matter if you are putting in a full carrier locker like a Detroit or ARB (unless there is something weird about the 8.8 I don't know about).

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
                        I'm assuming you meant to say if you wanted to install a "drop-in" locker like a Lock-right or EZ-Locker?? Obviously the carrier is different between an open and limited slip version, but it doesn't matter if you are putting in a full carrier locker like a Detroit or ARB (unless there is something weird about the 8.8 I don't know about).
                        Yep, that is exactly what I was referring to. I didn't make that clear at all. I had a 8.8 in my YJ prior to the current swap and it was a limited slip, so I couldn't drop and Aussie it it.
                        1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

thanks alot guys i think i am going with the 8.8 just found one on the for sale forum so thats it, hey carwash if you could shoot me a price for the axle swap kit thanks
                          98 xj 4.5" lift

Comment

Working...
                          X