New (to me) TOW vehicle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New (to me) TOW vehicle...

Crew Cab Dually 1995 Chevy 3500HD... 15,000 GVW, it's a frickin beast!

TBI 454 with just UNDER 27,000 miles... was an oil company welding truck (even has oxy/actylene tank holder on the passenger side of the stake bed--that rack will go away according to the wife). It desparately needs some cleaning on the inside (it's a WORK truck after all), but otherwise should last a good long time...

After I destroy it -- in a few decades... the 454/4L80e will go in the next trail vehicle... maybe even that massive disk-brake rear... Dana 80... (I just read something about this version being somehow different/stronger??? Whatever, it should do!) Edit: yep, 37 spline 1.6" axle diameter... VS 35 spline 1.5" axle diameter of other years/models... kinda cool.

$7700 out the door didn't seem too bad, especially for the miles... I know that it's a 13 year old truck that has not particularly been babied, but I'm willing to work on it, and I'm not a show truck kinda guy... besides... I would be laughed at too much with an old ambulance!

Now on to working on my trail rig!!! No worries about making it heavier now!

:p
    Attached Files
    Last edited by KargoMaster; 03-08-2008, 12:48 AM.
    brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
    Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

that's a beast man, nice work.

you never told me it was a flatbed. badass.

Comment

Very nice, Brad. I see some stuff hanging off that headboard, though, like a nice generator/compressor/welder, etc.
      Unimog 406
      XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

Thanks Greg... I'm one step closer to a tow rig like yours...
        brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

put you a 5th wheel pin in the bed and get you a nice LONG gooseneck trailer that would be the cats ass

Comment

I did see an amublance on CL.

Comment

Looking Goooood Brad!!!
              sigpic

Comment

BTW Brad.. Great find!!

Comment

Man Brad, it is as nice as you described it! Looks like a hell-of-a tow rig.

Jeff

Comment

perfect tow rig!

Comment

Yep that should do the job nicely!

Comment

OK, so the first question to the big truck crew...

225/70R19.5 (Load range F) -- Where to get them? What does everyone think of commercial retreads?

Steer tires look really good (almost new) but I think half the Drive tires are original... Talked to the goodyear guys that I know... $425 PLUS per tire... hahahha

(by the way, I did this before I bought it... so this isn't a surprise, but I also know that better prices can be found, just wanted to ask here...)

Also, I hate running without a spare... anyone know where I could look for 19.5x6 (dually version) wheels? 10 lug on ???" spacing.

I'll add more detailed pics as I fulfill my marital obligation to "make it more liveable." :o
                        brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

i think retreads are perfectly safe for that rig.

have you looked at anything other than the goodyears's on that size?

also, buying a tow rig... aren't you putting the cart before the ox... ahahahhhaha, what are you gonna tow around? the boat?

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
                            OK, so the first question to the big truck crew...

225/70R19.5 (Load range F) -- Where to get them? What does everyone think of commercial retreads?

Steer tires look really good (almost new) but I think half the Drive tires are original... Talked to the goodyear guys that I know... $425 PLUS per tire... hahahha

(by the way, I did this before I bought it... so this isn't a surprise, but I also know that better prices can be found, just wanted to ask here...)

Also, I hate running without a spare... anyone know where I could look for 19.5x6 (dually version) wheels? 10 lug on ???" spacing.

I'll add more detailed pics as I fulfill my marital obligation to "make it more liveable." :o
                            Brad, my buddy Lance who I posted the M543 wrecker for had some retread 19.5 tires (I bought 4 new ones at $125 each) and he also had some rims. I'll see what he has left. Or, call him if you want at the number in the wrecker ad. He was getting rid of all his trucking business stuff. He doesn't answer on Sunday though (family stuff).
                            Unimog 406
                            XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                              also, buying a tow rig... aren't you putting the cart before the ox... ahahahhhaha, what are you gonna tow around? the boat?
                              You beat me to it. Cool truck anyway Brad.
                              91 Ranger ext cab, 60, 14 bolt, 4:88's, 39.5's, doubler, lot's of character

Comment

Working...
                              X