Lug nuts shooting off!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lug nuts shooting off!

Gots me a problem. Here and there lug nuts with half of the wheel stud either break off or just end up missing. They do not seem to be too tight and not too loose. The stud breaks right where the nut threads into them. The rims are chrome plated eagle rims. Wondering if the rims are expanding and contracting with heat or if it is a torque issue. The truck is an 06 dodge CTD. Need to figure this out before I loose all of my studs. Missing 2 on one rear wheel and worried about towing 11,000lbs. Dealership (steelership) not too happy with all of the trucks mods and sceered to touch it. I am planning on replacing the studs on the rear wheel friday before the trip if the studs can be located. Anyone heard of this dilema?
    sigpic

Deja Vu... didn't you have this problem when you first got it... ??

Or is this the same problem?
    brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
    Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

I used to work at Beechmont Toyota and one of the service writers would bring in his Dodge Durango with broken rear wheel studs all the time. He told me "any good Dodge owner carries extra wheel studs with him at all times" and that Dodges are known to break wheel studs. I personally replaced 2 on 2 separate occasions. So, maybe its a Dodge thing?
      88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Comment

I have owned 10+ dodge trucks in the past 6 years and this is the first time I have had a problem.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
          Deja Vu... didn't you have this problem when you first got it... ??

Or is this the same problem?
          x2 seemed familiar to me as well
          I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

The contractor I work for has a fleet of the Dodge trucks of all years and sizes. I have been there 10 years and I have never heard of them popping lug nuts off. They do have to rebuilt the front ends all the time but no lug nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by tjjeepjeep View Post
              x2 seemed familiar to me as well
              Yeah Yeah. I lost one early on as well. May have to put the rockwell axles under the truck!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GPER View Post
                I have never heard of them popping lug nuts off. They do have to rebuilt the front ends all the time but no lug nuts.
                I'm sure it has nothing to do with his driving habits. :p
                Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it,
                But only you can feel the true warmth.

Comment

Are you sure that they are the correct "shape" lugnuts for tha tparticular wheel?
                  I know that some wheels are very particular about how the lugnuts seat & center themselves in the holes. This is mostly on thicker wheels like aluminum though from my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
                    Are you sure that they are the correct "shape" lugnuts for tha tparticular wheel?
                    I know that some wheels are very particular about how the lugnuts seat & center themselves in the holes. This is mostly on thicker wheels like aluminum though from my experience.
                    Not sure enough on that. I was supposed to get stainless hardware when I ordered the wheels and got chrome :mad: . I will check that out.
                    sigpic

Comment

i would measure the seat radius/angle of the lug and on the wheel. I would bet they don't match, and you are only making contact at a very minimal point with them, causing undue stress to them.

also, put your lugs on with a torque wrench, and i don't think it will happen again. broken studs (especially on newer vehicle) are often due to overtightening.

Comment

ask Tinbeater, maybe he can ask some of the tech's at his work, he also works for a dodge dealer
                        For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

Originally posted by 4RunnerAdam View Post
                          I used to work at Beechmont Toyota and one of the service writers would bring in his Dodge Durango with broken rear wheel studs all the time. He told me "any good Dodge owner carries extra wheel studs with him at all times" and that Dodges are known to break wheel studs. I personally replaced 2 on 2 separate occasions. So, maybe its a Dodge thing?
                          Worked for a dodge dealer for 23 years, thats news to me.

Comment

Originally posted by tinbeater View Post
                            Whats the torque specs for an 06 2500 with aluminum or steel rims? Any idea.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tinbeater View Post

Hmm...I guess the guy was an idiot. That wouldnt surprise me!
                              88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Comment

Working...
                              X