Welding with Car Batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding with Car Batteries

This has saved us several times on the trail.
    Finally found a good article on it
    thought I would pass it on
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just remove the two batteries from the vehicles, and hook the positive terminal on the first battery to the negative terminal on the second battery. This will hook up the two batteries in series, yielding 24 Volts of power.
    Once you've got the juice flowing from one battery to the next, you need to harness all those cold cranking amps and put them to work for you as a welder. For this you'll need another set of jumper cables (or a first set if you've used a battery cable to hook the two batteries in series). Hook up the negative lead of the cables to the empty negative terminal, with the other end attached to the work piece. Hook the positive cable to the empty positive terminal, with the other end clamping the electrode. At this point (after protecting your eyes, of course) you can go ahead and stike the arc to begin welding.

Article is here..........
    http://www.4x4wire.com/isuzu/minutemods/welder/
    Attached Files
    For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

That is a very good write up.

Comment

How about 3 batteries?
      sigpic

Comment

how long can you weld like that before the batteries die, on how thick of metal,and can you just use a normal welding rod?...why is the sky blue and how come its still cold out when the sun is shining,lol
        Last edited by Nuts; 03-27-2008, 10:57 PM.

Comment

It works very well. Can be done with as many batteries as you need. The more juice you have the thicker the steel. Repaired a shackle mount on atomic ridge at Windrock this way.
          91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

just dont forget the 3-4 pairs of sunglasses...

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
              How about 3 batteries?
              2 have been plenty hot enuf on either of my trail fixes

welds pretty good, was surprised....
              For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

there are even some spool guns on the market that you can hook to the batteries. Makes it nice to be wire feed out on the trail....

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                  How about 3 batteries?
                  They say three is even better.

Comment

well, then i'm going to use four.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                      well, then i'm going to use four.
                      I'm going to make more jumper cables so I can use five

Comment

Originally posted by GPER View Post
                        I'm going to make more jumper cables so I can use five

Need a couple of short cables with terminal clamps and one set of long jumpers. But, that 2 guage wire is spendy!
                        Unimog 406
                        XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

Originally posted by wilson1010 View Post
                          Need a couple of short cables with terminal clamps and one set of long jumpers. But, that 2 guage wire is spendy!
                          I still have a bunch of the hot wire off of the cranes from when I worked down at Armco or AK now.

I made my jumpers out of it years ago so I could pull in behind a car and still have enough cable to reach the batteries.

Comment

I carry a welding kit consisting of a pair of cutting goggles with a shade 10 lens, a nomex hood to protect the face, welding gloves, an assortment of electrodes and a few 1' long wires with battery terminals at each end to connect 3 car batteries, then I use my HD jumper cables to weld with. 3 batteries making 36 volts works much better to get the arc to work. We welded a coil-over mount back onto my friends bronco and it worked great.
                            I recommend 1/8" rods because with them amps it turned the whole thing red using 1/16" rods. We burned through 6 rods and every battery still had enough juice to run there vehicles.

Comment

Working...
                            X