Selectable locker steering help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selectable locker steering help

Would it be best to have the front axle locked and the rear selectable or the rear locked and the front selectable to help steering? Myself and a friend (eric) are having it out and I say front selectable and he says rear selectable. If you have run either or both of these setups let me know what you have experienced. Thanks, Scott
    sigpic

no brainer, front selectable....

so that you can unlock and allow your inside wheel to turn slower than the outside in the turn.

Comment

I agree front selectable. Much easier steering when front is unlocked and will have a better turning radius.
      1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

Depends on the steering and vehicle use. Front selectable if it will not be getting full hydro or hydro assist and the vehicle is going to be trail only. For easier steering and better turning radius.

For a road worthy vehicle rear selectable. A locker in the front while in two wheel drive is barely noticable. Selectable lockers are either on or off, might as well be a spool. So 2wd with it turned off and you can still have a grocery getter and not eat tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Chow View Post
          Depends on the steering and vehicle use. Front selectable if it will not be getting full hydro or hydro assist and the vehicle is going to be trail only. For easier steering and better turning radius.

For a road worthy vehicle rear selectable. A locker in the front while in two wheel drive is barely noticable. Selectable lockers are either on or off, might as well be a spool. So 2wd with it turned off and you can still have a grocery getter and not eat tires.
          Which brand of selectable locker have you used?
          sigpic

Comment

I had and old macnamera in ford pickup back in the eighties. I looked seriously into an ox locker for quite a while.

Comment

Macnamera?
              sigpic

Comment

Misspelled it. Here's a quick tidbit I found.

http://www.mcnamaradiffs.com.au/company.html

Jack McNamara locking differential. This Australian-made unit can be powered by engine vacuum so it avoids the need for a compressor. Like the ARB, it utilizes a sliding collar arrangement but it is much larger and doesn't require any seals inside the differentials. Installation of this locking diff should be easier than an ARB. The McNamara differential has been on the Australian market for a while but as yet, there is no North American distributor. Current applications include Dana 60, Dana 70, and Land Cruiser and Toyota pick up axles.

Comment

Working...
                X