Anti-wrap idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-wrap idea

When checking for parts for an antiwrap I had an idea when I saw some old CJ front driveshafts laying in the barn.

What if I cut the ends off of the driveshafts and used them as a top bar of my antiwrap. The slip should essentially eliminate the need for the shackle. Check out attachment for example. Is there anything that I am missing of why this would or wouldn’t work. Just seems like one of those ideas that seem great but would have a flaw I am overlooking.

The only things I could think of is being sure there is enough travel in the driveshaft and the wearing of the joint from the pressure of the axle trying to wrap

Rough diagram of idea
    Click image for larger version

Name:	antiwrapidea21.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	75608

Traditional style
    Click image for larger version

Name:	anti wrap.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	75607

Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by JeepHD; 04-02-2008, 10:49 AM.
    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Shackle idea = bad
    Other proposed idea looks great!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
      Shackle idea = bad
      Other proposed idea looks great!
      Why is the shackle idea bad? Seems to be the most widely used.
      1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

I'm more curious about how you're typing. Do you pull off a shoe and do some toe tapping or just lay down on the ground.

OK, Ok why would the shackle idea be bad?

Comment

With the power you are running the shackle idea would be okay. The best way to stop wrap from weak springs is solid mount with a high torque motor.

Bear chow not sure where you are coming from there? :confused:
          sigpic

Comment

With the power you are running the shackle idea would be okay. The best way to stop wrap from weak springs is solid mount with a high torque motor.

Bear chow not sure where you are coming from there? :confused:
            Thanks for the explaination.
            1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

In the picture I see the wrap bar the keyboard, mouse and a shoe I assumed you are wearing.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear Chow View Post
                In the picture I see the wrap bar the keyboard, mouse and a shoe I assumed you are wearing.
                That pic was pulled from a website for and example. I haven't started fab on a bar yet.

You had us confused there!
                1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

You could try one on the front and the other style on the rear and compare. I would be curious to see the difference. Where is this vehicles next maiden voyage?
                  sigpic

Comment

You could try one on the front and the other style on the rear and compare. I would be curious to see the difference. Where is this vehicles next maiden voyage?
                    It won't be much of a voyage, but the next time I get it out will be at the Jeep Rally for Life in Troy, OH, on the obstacle course. After that hopefully last weekend in May or first weekend of June, but I have no idea where yet.
                    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

I've built a couple of the shackle type anti-wraps with great success , one for a Suburban with a built 468 and 38" TSL's. It went from the king of spring wrap to a good performer in a couple hours!

The one downfall of the shackle style is they can be noisy on a well muffled rig... this was for a offroad rig?

I'm also not sure how a bunch of side load on a slip spline would accelerate wear and get sloppy and very noisy , it's worth a try.

The one big negative is the fact that the slip style forces you to put your tube joint mid-way down your top bar which is a good spot to start an unwanted bend and eventual failure.

Comment

I'm running an anti-warp bar and it has worked flawlessly and saved my DS and u-joints . I ran with out one for one month on the street and my axle wrap killed the DS u-joints . The axle mounts are from Ruff stuff and the shackle is a stock YJ with a heim joint I made the rest.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Any other feedback on using a driveshaft as the top bar, with the slip of it replacing the shackle. Will the d-shaft have enough strength? Will the slip wear out quickly?

Thanks
                          1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

i think the slip will fatigue and get sloppy quickly. I don't think most people realize just how much force is being exerted in the up and down direction from axle wrap. Think about the amount of force that it would take to wrap a spring... And it's just un-necessary... 1000's have been made with the shackle mount with perfect success.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                              i think the slip will fatigue and get sloppy quickly. I don't think most people realize just how much force is being exerted in the up and down direction from axle wrap. Think about the amount of force that it would take to wrap a spring... And it's just un-necessary... 1000's have been made with the shackle mount with perfect success.
                              I definitely realize the fatigue, broke two Yoke u-bolts and a cap on the u-joint after only about three tries on an obstacle. Probably go with the shackle design, but was going for points for originality:)
                              1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X