96 Grand Cherokee problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 96 Grand Cherokee problems

Told a friend I would try to find out what is wrong with her jeep.

96 Grand Cherokee, 4.0, auto, 150,000 miles.

She says when she gives it gas it bogs down real bad. She also said it started out doing this only on take off and now it does it on take off and at all speeds.

Any ideas?
    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

MAF or EGR

Comment

check engine light? Scan it and see what it pulls up. Could also be the catalytic converter if it is not a sensor.
      sigpic

Comment

My 97 does this at take off after sitting. Would like to know what it is too. After it does it once it's fine?

Comment

I think it is a tps sensor or catalytic converter.
          sigpic

Comment

Pulling any codes would be the first thing I would do. Another quick check is to pull the air intake off and see if you have any oil in it. It seems fairly common for the PCV to fail and allow engine oil to get sucked into the air intake which can cause issues.

Look at the obvious things first before you start throwing parts ($$) at it blindly. Look for corrosion, gunk buildup, loose connections or shorted wires at the sensors (TPS, MAF/MAS, O2, etc...). A bad (clogged) catalystic converter can be checked by either removing the upstream O2 sensor or opening up a connection ahead of the converter and see if the driveability issue improves or not (though the newer converters, by design, rarely actually clog up the exhaust when the fail), though I have seen them damage the O2 sensors...but that should throw a code.

The next step would be to try to get ahold of a diagnostic manual. The factory ones usually have a whole list of "if it does this...go through this diagnostic tree" which usually will point you in the right direction. Sometimes a dealer will let you go in and look this up and make copies, or if you have any other source (buddy who is a tech at a dealership).

If I have a chance I will try to look this up as I have access to a lot of these manuals, but not sure if I have that exact one or not.

Comment

Found it. The only reason I found it is the fuel pump just went out yesterday. Changed it and it is fine.
              91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Originally posted by itbrokeagain View Post
                Found it. The only reason I found it is the fuel pump just went out yesterday. Changed it and it is fine.
                That doesn't sound promising for me...

Comment

i still think it's the MAF...

ahhahahahh

Comment

Working...
                  X