SOA Spring Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOA Spring Suggestions?

Well, with almost no abuse I already bent a front YJ spring and both my front and rear wrap terribly. So I am considering other springs and looking for some good suggestions.

I have accumulated the parts to do a anti-wrap bar on the rear, but was considering different springs before I fab it up. Currently I am running Stock YJ springs with an added main leaf with the eyes cut off. It flexes great but I don't think it will last at all for offroad abuse. I would prefer not to lift it any higher, and would like to actually lower some. I am currently leaning towards some 2 inch BDS YJ springs and then drop the 1 inch body lift off, hopefully the result would be less no more than 1 inch of lift. I am just worried about it resulting in more lift than expected. I think the Military wrap and the beefier BDS springs would help and they are only $80 a piece with a replacement gaurantee.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on what springs to use? I would like to get away from needing the front anti-wrap bar and have a more durable spring. I will still put a rear anti-wrap on.

Pics of it on RTI recently and stance
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0166.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	75617

Name:	DSCI0167.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	75618

Name:	IMG_5729.jpg
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	75619

Name:	Jeep Rally for Life 146.jpg
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	75620

I also go to Coldwater, MI (BDS Warehouse Location) monthly for work and can pick up with no shipping, which helps some too!

ORIGINAL BUILD THREAD
    http://www.cincyoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1271
    Last edited by JeepHD; 05-16-2008, 12:08 PM.
    1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

I run the RE 1.5" SOA springs and they are great. No wrap issues and they are durable. But they are pretty expensive.
    '94 YJ

Comment

Originally posted by Aquaman View Post
      I run the RE 1.5" SOA springs and they are great. No wrap issues and they are durable. But they are pretty expensive.
      I would like to try them but at double the price of BDS, I would rather not spend that much on them.
      1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

I run front waggy spring in my CJ the ones with the 7 leafs. They seem to last a long time and flex great, but I have gotten mine out of waggys that I was parting out. I run them in the front and rear. Almost no axle wrap I do not run any kind of ant-wrap bar

Comment

The 2" BDS springs are 4 leaf packs or used to be and will not hold up, even BDS says they will not hold up SOA and suggests the 3.5" springs that are 5 leaf packs or to add a 5th leaf to the 2" packs.

I bent up several 2" BDS springs front and rear and one rear set of the 3.5"s before I installed a traction bar and only bent the front 3.5"s after a couple years (fixed them in a press). The springs have lasted OK and have settled out.

My jeep http://www.mv4w.com/modules.php?op=m...orderby=titleA
          89 YJ EFI AMC 360, T18a, D20, built D44, 14 bolt, 38" Creepy Crawlers.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike F View Post
            The 2" BDS springs are 4 leaf packs or used to be and will not hold up, even BDS says they will not hold up SOA and suggests the 3.5" springs that are 5 leaf packs or to add a 5th leaf to the 2" packs.

I bent up several 2" BDS springs front and rear and one rear set of the 3.5"s before I installed a traction bar and only bent the front 3.5"s after a couple years (fixed them in a press). The springs have lasted OK and have settled out.

My jeep http://www.mv4w.com/modules.php?op=m...orderby=titleA
            Interesting. I talked to BDS and they told me the 2 inch springs were great for SOA.
            1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepHD View Post
              Interesting. I talked to BDS and they told me the 2 inch springs were great for SOA.
              Are they 5 leaf packs now? Or maybe they are made different now?

It would be good if the 2" ones hold up. I killed 3 2" sets in about a year and a half 4 or 5 years ago. My Jeep weighed about 4300lb then, maybe that was the problem.
              89 YJ EFI AMC 360, T18a, D20, built D44, 14 bolt, 38" Creepy Crawlers.

Comment

i have always used the 2" lift springs for soa. and bds is great cuz they will cover your springs, lifetime warranty, minus shipping. i went thru a couple sets this way.

any spring is going to wear out in a soa situation, especially if you don't have a serious anti-wrap bar.

Comment

I am sprung over with stock Yj springs with no issues, now. On the front I added full length Yj main leaves and cut the eyes out. I cut several leaf springs in half and put them in every other spring and put them on the back to eliminate my axle wrap. On the rear I added a 2500 Lb main leaf from Brighton Spring and put a anti-wrap bar on. You will need to build a beefy one because I destroyed the first one. My wrap is pretty much gone and it flexes very well.
                  I am running a 302, T-18, and 37 boggers. I can dump the cluth and not have any issues.

One problem I did have is the shackles folding up against the frame when coming up to an obstacle. This happened on the front and rear. I welded some stops to the frame so the shackle could not fold back.

I am very happy with this set up and if you get yours right you will be happy with it.
                  91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

soa springs

the best and cheapist way i have found is to run rear cj springs all the way around and add a leaf there thicker and hold up well

Comment

Response I just got from BDS, really pretty vague:

" Our 2" YJ springs have 4 leafs. As for how well they hold up in a SOA application varies depending on the setup. Rigs with heavily modified powertrain tend to be harder on the springs."
                      1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

Still not sure what to try next. I think I have a couple sets of CJ rears that I can try and won't cost me anything but time.
                        1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

I have seen the 2'' BDS springs used on a SOA with good luck behind a 350 motor and alot of wheeling. Finding the right spring combo can be difficult! Hopefully you can eliminate the wrap bar though.
                          sigpic

Comment

Picked up four new BDS 2 inch lift springs this week for $73 a peice new. Purchased at Planet Powersports in Coldwater, MI and drove down the road to pick them up at the BDS distribution. They are 4 leaf with full military wrap, and are much thicker than stock springs, just hope they will flex well and not lift me too much.
                            1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

Comment

I have had good luck with the bds springs in the past. Performance offroad (roy) carries them too.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X