700R4 acting up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 700R4 acting up!

I took the jeep out for a spin today and the tranny was shifting really hard from 1st to 2nd out of nowhere. It didn't do this a week or two ago the last time I took it out. I put a brand new Kickdown cable on it about 6 months ago, could this be the issue? Possible needs adjustment after strecthing or could it be just low fluid? I checked the tranny fluid while running in idle but it was nearly impossible to tell if it was at level or not. I could see fluid on the stick but a distinct line was not visible. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!
    '84 Cherokee body welded to an '86 Blazer frame , fuel injected 350, 700r4 trans, np208 t-case, 44 front and a welded 14 bolt in the rear on 35" boggers, radiator in the rear, and a full cage

Sounds like the Gov. is sticking . I would try to put a bottle of Lucas in it and drive it around a little. the trans fluid should be approx. an inch or so up on the dip stick . I have had great luck with the Lucas oil products .

Comment

Should I put the entire bottle in the tranny even if the fluid is at level? How big of a bottle should I use or does just come in one size?
      '84 Cherokee body welded to an '86 Blazer frame , fuel injected 350, 700r4 trans, np208 t-case, 44 front and a welded 14 bolt in the rear on 35" boggers, radiator in the rear, and a full cage

Comment

Make sure you have the cable adjusted properly, quick way to burn a 700 up.
        It is not a kick down cable, it is called the throttle valve cable and controls line pressure and line rise. One link on adjusting numbers 4 and 5 i believe http://www.transmissioncenter.net/subject.htm
        Last edited by cheech; 06-13-2008, 05:18 PM. Reason: added link

Comment

Well I figured it out! The throttle valve cable just needed a little readjustment. Once I properly reset it the tranny shifted smoother than silk! Thanks for all the info and help!

Comment

Working...
          X