Xj Heater Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xj Heater Ideas

I'm in the process of building a expedition/ crawler out of a 91 XJ. I got rid of the AC and also took out the Heater/AC box. To save room in the engine bay I'm trying to figure out the best and smallest option for replacing it. I've tried dealerships but they say I can't get it without the AC Evap. Any Ideas?? Thanks for the Help.

For a couple years I ran heavy equipment , we had these in all our cranes.

I "borrowed" one for my first Heep project , it would run you out of a soft top CJ7!
    Attached Files

Comment

who makes that Jeff? and do you just run heater hoses to it?

Comment

I found the pic here but there a bunch of vendors on the web that sell these , or a version of these.

http://www.orrorr.com/default.asp?TI...-F823F480AE91}

I bet with a little effort you could find some local equip. parts distributors or commercial vehicle outfitter that could set you up with one of these. This one pictured fits in a 8"x8"x8" foot print ... very compact

When I had it in my jeep I plumed it from the factory heater core lines , installed it in the center box between the seats ... kicked major ass !

Just make sure you put in a by-pass line to get the unit out of the system in the summer, even when the fans off it radiates a bunch of heat.

Edit: I've also seen a ghetto/hillbilly version of this with a Mesa 96 plate oil cooler and small 12volt fan ... work pretty good...
        Last edited by JeffK5; 07-02-2008, 10:38 PM.

Comment

is that not just a "heater core" in a box with a fan mounted on it.

I am just asking b/c I would like to have heat in my jeep again but these boxes are almost $200.

Comment

Mojave makes heater assemblies too but they are pricey. Get a used heater core and an electric fan from radio shack if you want inexpensive!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
              Mojave makes heater assemblies too but they are pricey. Get a used heater core and an electric fan from radio shack if you want inexpensive!
              Well I was thinking of making my own but wanted to know what made it make so much heat if it was more that just a big heater core in a box with a fan mounted on it.

Comment

It's nothing more than a heater core in a metal box with a fan mounted on it , but it's all new and the fab-work has been done for ya... four screws and two long hoses and you got heat.

The one I had was designed to make 15,000 BTU and be no bigger than a lunch box..JC Whittney also carries a variety of these from 10'000-35'000 BTU.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK5 View Post
                  It's nothing more than a heater core in a metal box with a fan mounted on it , but it's all new and the fab-work has been done for ya... four screws and two long hoses and you got heat.

The one I had was designed to make 15,000 BTU and be no bigger than a lunch box..JC Whittney also carries a variety of these from 10'000-35'000 BTU.
                  Cool thanks

I like building thing and if it will same me a lot of $$$$ that is even better. I have a few heater cores that are bigger than what "jeeps" use so maybe I will make one. But I will have to check out JC whittney as well.

Comment

Working...
                  X