U-joint straps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-joint straps?

Is it common for U-joint straps to wear out? I got to inspecting the front driveshaft and the joint is tight, but the caps are sliding between the yoke and the strap even after I tightened the bolts.
    1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
    FJ 40 axles (4.10)
    5.14 tcase
    36" TSL SX

Sounds like the wrong straps or u-joint, those should be tight.

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
      Sounds like the wrong straps or u-joint, those should be tight.

I beleive that the straps are right. However, I happened upon another thread that mentionend that some brands of u-joints are made narrower (cap to cap)
      FJ 40 axles (4.10)
      5.14 tcase
      36" TSL SX

Comment

get a u-bolt style yoke or have yours machined to accept ubolts. Those straps will bite you in the ass sooner or later, and it will be on the trail, and you will have no spares handy.

Comment

The only way they should wear out in the way you mention is if they weren't tight to begin with and have wobbling slightly for awhile. I know everbody says get the u-bolt style but I've ran the straps on my rear 14-bolt for 7-8 years and have replaced them once, and that was because they had made contact with a rock and were mangled (but they never failed).

Go to NAPA and get another set and try them. They are really cheap.

Comment

I think that part of the problem stemmed from the PO. He bought the right parts but couldn't work on crap. I found the SYE fixed yoke about 1/4" loose, ujoint strap bolts finger tight, seized wheel cylinders.....

I like the idea of the ubolts, but I still need to find a 1310 u-joint that fit to the stops on the yoke.
            FJ 40 axles (4.10)
            5.14 tcase
            36" TSL SX

Comment

If the straps were just finger tight and it was driven any amount of time, there the yokes could be worn out...there are little tabs that keep the u-joint caps from sliding back and forth and I have seen these basically ground off.

Comment

Its common for thoes straps to wear out. I would see loose straps all the time on rigs coming through the shop. Replace them with new, should only be $4 or so, and keep an eye on them. I dont know where I heard it and if its true or not but suposedly the straps should be replaced everytime you replace the u joint. I never did and havnt had them fail on me, I upgraded before they had the chance

AARON
                91 MJ Under construction

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                  get a u-bolt style yoke or have yours machined to accept ubolts. Those straps will bite you in the ass sooner or later, and it will be on the trail, and you will have no spares handy.
                  x2

Sheet metal straps have screwed me a time or two, drill and spot-face for U-bolts and be done with it.

Both sets of straps I broke the metal tore at the bend and bolts where still plenty tight.

Comment

After replacing the straps, it tightened them up; some. I think that I will have to replace the yokes b/c the tabs are wider than the ujoint.
                    FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                    5.14 tcase
                    36" TSL SX

Comment

Working...
                    X