Home maintenance ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home maintenance ??

Do you need a state/local building permit to legally change a hot water heater in Ohio?

Some people say yes , some say no but I was looking for someone who knows for sure....

Jeff

Are you replacing or changing the style, gas, electric....? I know we have replaced ours with out a permit but that doesn't help you too much.
    88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

Have an electric and am putting another electric in...

Over the years I've heard a ton of opinions on what can and can't be done around the house legally , I guess I might have to go buy myself a Ohio code book.

Hell people replace decks , change water heaters , build sheds all the time , I think permits are required for all these?

Comment

contact Tony Vilardo. he is "itbrokeagain" on here. he will know.

Comment

I know the job i'm working on a building inspector stoped by and said we need one becouse we have 2 new hot watter heaters but we re did alot off pluming also
          86 Ford Bronco

Comment

Called my local township building commissioners office and asked ... you do without a doubt NEED a permit to replace a water heater.

You can do it your self but you need a permit before and inspection after the job.

Jeff

Comment

damn, we don't get em for anything, and the building code inspector guy lives a block down from us, built a huge shed behind my house, 800 sq ft addition on parents house, lots of other crap. they got a permit to frame up the addition on my parents (contractors did that), but we never got one to finish it.

greg
              zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

who's gonna tell them?
                For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

don't ask don't tell
                  86 Ford Bronco

Comment

What they dont see wont hurt them.

But yes, you need the permit if you are doing it yourself. Also if you do it yourself and are not a contractor, then you must be living in that residence for at least 3 months. Cant just install it yourself then rent the house right away. I went through the permit thing this time last year when I purchased my house. Its a way for the city to make money. And also make sure the work gets done in a semi safe/acceptable way. Still amaizes me what they will let pass just becasue a contractor did it....

AARON
                    91 MJ Under construction

Comment

I work on homes for a living and all I can say is if you know what your doing fine do it your self. If you don't there can be ALOT of danger from a water heater done wrong and I hate to hear people say how it's not a big deal it is a big deal if things go bad. Make sure to double check the pressure vavle even a new one can be bad. And NO twisted together wires with caps unless they are in a box and the box and wires are mounted as they should be. These are the 2 main things that could kill you or your kids really easy.

A water heater rap is always a good idea and can save you a few bucks each year.Shut off valves on both lines as they enter and leave the water heater is also A nice touch.

Comment

Working...
                      X