Onboard air system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Onboard air system

Who makes the best onboard air system with a small tank and uses 30 amps or less to run? I have a/c in the jeep and have come close to converting it over but really have been spoiled by it. Any companies you know of or web sites to check out? I have seen viair and am looking for others. Thanks, Scott
    sigpic

kilby makes a good kit from what i've heard, not sure what kinda amperage it takes though.

greg
    zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

What about a CO2 setup? I have been looking into them some. Lot simpler and have some good advantages. Only bad part would be having to get them refilled. www.powertank.com and www.ultimate-air.com.

Guess it depends on what you plan to use it for the most.
      1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

i'm all about co2 systems... easy and simple, and they work when your vehicle isn't running.

Comment

I seem to use alot of air for myself and others. Like to make plastic bottle pressure bombs while taking wheeling pit stops.
          sigpic

Comment

I ended up converting my Saden stock AC compressor to be an OBA compressor and so far everything is running great. I put an oiler and a filter in so that it runs correctly and I have a 5 gallon tank that supplies enough air to bead a tire and a pressure switch that regulates the pressure in the tank. I have two quick disconnect and a 25' hose to reach around with.

I do understand the point of not having the vehicle on to use it sometimes I wish I could have the Jeep off and have air. But the volume I can run beats out the CO2 system and not having to refill the tank s what sold me plus $125 total for the system is nice.
            88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

I do not want to add another air compressor under the hood. I want a seperate electric pump and 3 gal. tank. I can run it with vehicle off with the backup battery for a bit if needed.
              sigpic

Comment

Very true I have heard the Viair and Kilby are both very good having complete kits but you might be able to piece it together cheaper if you don't need all of the bells and whistles.

http://www.viaircorp.com/480c.html that is the higher end Viair compressor.

Although this compress draws 40 amp it can really push some air http://4by4connection.com/exsev12volai.html
                88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/portable_oba/

older write up on a system.

Also search on ebay,,, found a few systems in the 150 price range on there

Comment

I'm in for CO2. I have a 10lb tank and a back up 10lb tank. They cost $9.00 to refill and will air up about 30 tires. Most importantly I run air tools on CO2. The right angle grinder with metal cutting wheel is awesome. The impact uses a lot of air but you only need to run it for a few seconds.

Best of all though is the speed of CO2. Mine is set to 150psi and airs up the tires in a hurry.
                    Unimog 406
                    XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

i challenge anyone to seat a bead with an on board air system and 3-5 gallon tank faster than a 10 lb CO2 bottle can, if it can do it at all.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                        i challenge anyone to seat a bead with an on board air system and 3-5 gallon tank faster than a 10 lb CO2 bottle can, if it can do it at all.
                        I accept your challenge! Starting fluid is the fastest! Where can I get one of these bombs, I mean CO2 tanks filled other than a paintball shop? Who sells them reasonably priced?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                          I accept your challenge! Starting fluid is the fastest! Where can I get one of these bombs, I mean CO2 tanks filled other than a paintball shop? Who sells them reasonably priced?
                          You need a regulator (fixed pressure is cheapest and easiest - I have 150psi, you can get a variable one off any old, cheap used air compressor) and a tank. It cost $12 to certify it (done every 5 years) a used beverage tank will do. you can buy a used tank and get it filled at Sparkling Carbonic on Glendale Milfrd Rd just west of I75: http://www.sparklingcarbonic.com/

Stay away from paintball shop, they are way expensive.
                          Unimog 406
                          XJ with a bunch of stuff put on by somebody else

Comment

Used beverage CO2 tank! Yes that is what i have seen people use before. That may be the ticket! Sounds like it could be cheap but finding the right sized bottle could be tricky. Thanks Wilson1010!
                            sigpic

Comment

5 lb or 20 oz. tank large enough?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X