winching down (to?) an axle...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winching down (to?) an axle...

Ok, so with the 2.5" airshocks as the only thing holding up my (someday to be completed) rig... and my quest for absolute control (remember my twinsticked Dana300, behind np203 LRG, with bias braking front and rear... it's all about control...)

Question is:
    How much force would it take to winch down an axle?

That's not all... My assumption is that the shock load on the wire rope while the rig is bouncing on a hill would be greater than that value, but by what factor?

I'm considering (a) smaller winch(es) for just this duty. I just can't see me getting out before I need to pull my front end down to attach my standard duty Warn, thereby occupying it with another task, effectively disabling the possibility of emergency activity.

This making sense to anyone?

There's also the "accumulator" idea that I have, so that I can keep them connected at all times without influenceing my standard suspension... or getting wire rope into my driveshafts... that would be bad.
    ...but that's still an idea under development...
    brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
    Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Throwing more weight upfront? No way! Get a winch for the rear and one for the front and be done with it. I have had to use the rear winch for the front before and sat outside of the truggy with the winch remote in hand. If a situation arrived where you needed your front winch, connect a ratchet strap to the loaded axle and use the front winch. How about that :o
    sigpic

Comment

I'm with Brad, i will be using smaller ATV style winches, mounted upside down, with only enough cable on them to circle the drum a few time, and then reach to my axle at full drop. I will keep it fairly cinched up most of the time, and it will also act as a center limiting strap. I'm not too concerned about the strenght of it, as i see comp guys thrashing these little winches all the time without failure.

I will be nice to be able to tuck the front end down when trying to crest the top of a ledge. Those air shocks are gonna wanna push it right over backwards.

Just look into quality winches brad and it shouldnt be a problem. Maybe i can find a deal on 4 of them for us.

Comment

Damn, so much for keeping wheeling simple.. What was the first question Brad? :)

Good luck, like anything else it gonna be personal choice. Sounds really cool though.

Comment

Originally posted by Treefrogsw View Post
          Damn, so much for keeping wheeling simple.. What was the first question Brad? :)

Good luck, like anything else it gonna be personal choice. Sounds really cool though.
          Thanks for the laugh Steve... Don't you worry, when I get to the seats and soft covers (ie - bikini-ish tops) I'll be calling you with some questions...

CW, you see the 12VoltGuy's giveaway yesterday on Priate... I've been on his site ever since... making plans... :)
          brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Seabass' stuff is the shizzle, he makes aweseom stuff. he will be doing the main panel for my jeep.

Comment

Warn Works 1700-DC

These should work...

$99.99 from Northern Tool right now... Can't beat that price.

Some specs:
              Pulling Capacity: 1700 lbs.
              Switch Type: Remote with 12ft. lead
              Motor: Permanent magnet, 3.0in. diameter
              HP: 1.6 HP
              Power: 12V DC
              Gear Train: Split ring gear
              Gear Ratio: 153:1
              Clutch: Knob-pull and turn
              Brake: Self-locking gear train (rated load holding) (as opposed to the disc brakes in the ATV winches, I like this better..)
              Wire Rope: 3/16in. x 35ft. (will be replaced with 7/16" or 3/8")
              Drum Diameter: 1 1/8in.
              Fairlead: Hawse
              Hole Pattern: 2 holes on 3.1in. center
              Electric Leads: 2-6ft. x 6 gauge cable
              1-year limited warranty
              U.S.A.
              Model 651700
              Attached Files
              brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

nice deal brad, better than what you told me last night.

Comment

work ok upside down you think, any issue?

Comment

Well, they won't be 180 degrees upside down... more like 90 degrees sideways... I can't see any issue other than possibly water drainage?

Front will be under the hood, and I'm thinking that I may get an ATV style cover for the rear one...

The drum diameters on the Warn Works series seem to be slightly smaller, but for what I'm going to do with them, I'm assuming that they'll be fine...
                    brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

hmmm, yeah 90 is right, never thought of that...

Comment

Yeah, I am gunna run one of dem for each wheel on my here axle u see n case the terrain is off camber doggonit. It will be cool u see. ;)
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
                          Yeah, I am gunna run one of dem for each wheel on my here axle u see n case the terrain is off camber doggonit. It will be cool u see. ;)

copycat:p

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

Wow am I behind the times...You all read to much!
                            sigpic

Keep them on all 4's

Comment

hey brad, give butch a call, he is in the process of mounting one in the rear of his jeep right now. i think his is like a 1300lb atv winch i believe. wait till you see the ronald mcdonald mobile this year, it is pretty sic. maybe one of these days i'll get his old 60's out of my driveway and under my jeep if i don't sell it
                              zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Working...
                              X