HEI Gremlins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HEI Gremlins

Just wanted to pass on some helpful info for you folks running HEI distributors.

I had a problem with my Jeep not wanting to start. I rewired the connections on my starter, ran a new wire to the coil, changed my plugs...etc.

The Jeep would turn over sometimes and would not start. There was fuel in the carb, obvious voltage to the starter, and voltage to the coil but it didn't seem to want to start.

I look over my distributor and started replacing some parts.

Turns out the control module inside the distributor was bad. $16 for a new one at O'Reilly. While at it I replaced the coil and rotor all fro less than $40 bucks. I put everything back together and it started up.

Just a reminder that sometimes your problems may be caused by a part you are overlooking by checking out all the obvious components that you might think are the culprit.

However I am still having issues with the starter not always turning over, just clicking and then finally it will turn over. Sometimes hard and sometimes easy. When the Jeep is running the idle is a litle fast and when I hit the gas pedal it bogs down a little and then revs up... Any thoughs? Maybe retard the timing a little?? Any help would be appreciated.
    78 CJ-7, 350 V8, T-18a Tranny, Twin Stick Dana 300, Scout 44's, 4.27 Gears, 36" TSL's, Welded rear and Full Spool Front, Hi-Steer with GM Knuckles

Thanks for the info. Jason ,

Sounds like your too advanced in your timing . Loosen the Dist. hold down ( 9/16 " wrench ) so that it is just loose enough to to move by hand with a fair amount of force. You don't want it so loose that it moves on its own. let the motor get up to operating temp and take it for a drive. from a stop floor it . if it stumbles back the timing off a few degrees. keep doing this until you find the sweet spot. Once you find the spot go home . shut off the Jeep and try to restart . Let it cool down and try to start again . if all is good tighten the dist. back down and call it done.

Comment

I did the hei / stealth upgrade for my Duro spark box and it made a big improvement.

Comment

Working...
      X