FRAME REPAIR?? pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FRAME REPAIR?? pics

This guy is pretty much giving away this jeep but MY only concern is this section of the frame obviously. Where would I even start going about fixing this?

Originally posted by sickws6 View Post
    This guy is pretty much giving away this jeep but MY only concern is this section of the frame obviously. Where would I even start going about fixing this?

i would start by finding someone with good fab skills unless thats you and if it looks that bad there i would look closer at the rest like on the inside of the frame because it would not be uncommen for ther to be more problems
    One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

I have decent fabrication abilities I could always learn by trying. The guy said that the rest of the frame is ok , but I am def going to do a good inspection

Comment

doesn't look that bad if that's all there is, shouldn't be to hard to weld a couple plates in there.

Comment

Yea that is a super easy fix don't freak a couple plates a a couple hours and it will be good as new. I have had to do the same thing to a few CJ frames over the years. Also, make sure you check around the steering box.

Comment

Cool that gives me some excitement about getting this jeep. its a 94yj 2.5l ax5 The guy is asking 1200 he says it has some other issues such as the rear end locking up after bout 10 min of driving then it will free back up, brakes? bearings? Its also hard to get into first but shifts fine and the transfer case shifts hard.

Comment

Everyone on jeepforum is flipping out saying that It would need a new frame and stuff.

Comment

$1200 is too much. I wouldnt pay more than $700 for a 4 banger YJ that NEEDS a decient amount of fab work.

What do you plan on using the Jeep for? If you want the title and tub and plan on building the thing up then cut off the rear section and trim the sheet metal back, add some tubes, and call it a buggy! If you want a mild wheeler that you can daily drive, then you should really look for something else in better condition. Just my opinion...

AARON
                91 MJ Under construction

Comment

Originally posted by MrShoeBoy View Post
                  $1200 is too much. I wouldnt pay more than $700 for a 4 banger YJ that NEEDS a decient amount of fab work.

What do you plan on using the Jeep for? If you want the title and tub and plan on building the thing up then cut off the rear section and trim the sheet metal back, add some tubes, and call it a buggy! If you want a mild wheeler that you can daily drive, then you should really look for something else in better condition. Just my opinion...

AARON
                  Well here is a picture of the jeep the body is in nice shape, my plans are to make a mild streetable rig first.

Comment

So is the frame in that one spot the problem? Like no rust anywhere else?

Hmm...I might pay $1000 for that and dump in 5 hours of fab work. Looks like a nice find

AARON
                    91 MJ Under construction

Comment

that is VERY common for them to rust there. chop it and fish plate it. i'd check the rear spider gears, they are notorious for that too. it definitely isn't safe as is though, use that as a bargaining point to get him to lower that price, you will lose the rear spring like that trying to drive it as is. simple fix to someone that can weld, but a HUGE expensive looking problem to 99% of the people out there. i wouldn't hesitate on it for under $1000.
                      zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by mckeddie View Post
                        that is VERY common for them to rust there. chop it and fish plate it. i'd check the rear spider gears, they are notorious for that too. it definitely isn't safe as is though, use that as a bargaining point to get him to lower that price, you will lose the rear spring like that trying to drive it as is. simple fix to someone that can weld, but a HUGE expensive looking problem to 99% of the people out there. i wouldn't hesitate on it for under $1000.
                        Sorry for my ignorance what do you mean by fish plate?

Comment

I'd buy everyone I could get for that price with that kind of frame rot !!! very easy fix . The rear ..... well it's a D-35 with 4.10's ( a dime a dozen ) . All the AX-5's shift alittle funny ( grind , hard shift when cold ..... ) .

Buy it , fix it , and wheel it or sell it and put some money in your pocket for the next one.

Just google fish plate .... I don't feel like explaining it , but it's simple.

You can sell the hard doors for half the purchase price !!

Comment

only thing that would keep me from buying it is the motor. the frame is an easy fix.

don't drive it home, tow it. use that as a bargaining point as well. it's not road safe in its current state.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                              only thing that would keep me from buying it is the motor. the frame is an easy fix.

don't drive it home, tow it. use that as a bargaining point as well. it's not road safe in its current state.
                              Does anyone want to make a few bucks and tow it for me? IT is in houston ohio which is bout 75 miles north of Hamilton. I am unfortunate enough to not have a tow vehicle.

Comment

Working...
                              X