Need Help 1996 Cherokee Sport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help 1996 Cherokee Sport

OK here goes got up yesterday and battery was dead, put chrager on for a while and it started. Took that battery out cleaned terminals charged it tried to start it with a battery charger with no battery in it to pull it in the garage and it would not turn over. Put battery back in and now all it does is turnover and won't hit a lick. A bubby checked and no electric to the injectors with key on, fuel pump is not coming on and no spark at the plugs. I'm guessing ECM I have checked all fuses inside and out twice. Anyone have a scanner before I tow it somewhere to find out the samething or and ECM to try to see if that fixes the problem before I go pay a couple hundred bucks to find out it is something else?

Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks Jim

1996 Cherokee Sport 4.0 auto
    "Dirts for Racin Asphalt is for Gettin there!!

don't these units have an ASD ( Auto shut down ) relay

check the fuses
    For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

Yes I checked all fuses and also switched the relays around to see if one was bad but that did nothing.

Comment

Try a different battery, also try starting it in neutral (NSS switch is notorious).
        If you're in Trenton I could swing by & take a look quickly. Probably something simple if it ran fine when ya parked it. Could also be the TPS gave up the ghost, that'll kill everything.

What code do you get when you do the "key trick" to pull the codes? (though it's probably unrelated...) (key trick is to turn the key off & on rapidly 3 or so times then count the flashes of the light on the dash)

Comment

I tried the key trick and no engine light what so ever. It doesn't even come on at all, even when you just turn on the key. Going to see if I can borrow a code scanner will see what happens.
          Last edited by AFTERSHOCK151; 11-13-2008, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Try unplugging the CPS & plugging it back in, sometimes that'll make it start once or twice more but means the CPS is dying. plug should be up behind the throttle body / intake area. Do NOT buy a CPS at advance/autozone - theirs are junk & don't work most of the time.

Is 96 OBD1 or OBD2 ?

I may be busy this evening with the TS meeting, but if you want to call me my number is 513.317.2314 and I'll try to swing by to check it out.

Comment

ECM was bad got one at a junk yard for $50.00 R&B on Oxford State Road in Middletown everybody else wanted $100. to $150. they warranty them for 30 days. Hooked it up and all good so far, drove it to work tonight.

Thanks to everyone for their input nice to know you can post a problem here and get feedback.

Thanks again until next time
              Jim

Comment

Good to hear you got it fixed, I've never personally seen an ECM bite the dust though. Ron @ R&B is a good guy, I've know him for quite a while.

Comment

Working...
                X