Rear End Problems?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear End Problems?

After about ten mintutes of driving it will start to make a friction visual failurs with the spiders and the ring, He said the jeep did just get new brakes all around and maybe they need adjusted in the back or something. Any ideas?

drop the diff cover and snap a pic for us, i'm guessing your spider gears.
    zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

I believe that a fella on the board stated that the rear was junk in it on the rusty frame post. Spider gears are probably the culprit along with the fact that it is a 35 rear. The dana 35 rear axle is an axle not worth putting more than 50 bucks in.
      sigpic

Comment

Grab a 4.10 geared 8.8 from UP&P in Cincinnati.
        weld leaf perches on it, get thee flange adapter & you're good to go.
        Cheap as another D35 & much stronger. Same bolt pattern & very close to same width.

Comment

Ok guys remember I am new to jeeps. What vehicles have an 8.8 rear in them and what is the adapter flange for? Thanks

Comment

8.8 is under newer ford explorers.
            Determining gear ratio is a little trickier if there's no tag on the axle.
            the flange adapts the u-joint you have on the end of your rear driveshaft to the pinion mount on the rear axle.

this may help:
            http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

Comment

My ex has a rearend problem

I got a jeep

Comment

lol thats funny

Comment

I wanna meet the person that got close enough to the rino to put the panties on it!
                  Romans 7-8

Comment

and the lipstick
                    91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Well I got the jeep home today and test drove it around the block carefully to see whats up. It is noisy sounds more from the transfercase area or transmission area then rear. It does not make any noise at all while I am truning I was doinf circles and it was smooth and no noise??? Tomorrow I will jack it up and have someone put it in gear to see if I can pinpoint where its coming from.

Comment

congrats on finally gettin a jeep josh let me know if ya ever need any help workin on it..
                        07 JKUR on 37's
                        89 xj 2 dr 3 inch bds lift w/ 33x15.5x15 super swampers Sold :(
                        Reppin the CJKC
                        http://youtu.be/1maTFhqVxaY
                        sigpic

Comment

Well I jacked it up today. The pinion has more play then it seems like its supposed too. The brakes are good nothing hanging up there. The drive shaft u-joints seem ok no play. It seems like I was hearing something in the passenger side axle tube like a bearing or something. I could spin the axles freely with my hand nothing sounded like when I drive it. I am still stumped, I will tear it down tomorrow probably.

Comment

Unless I am mistaken, on a YJ the rear D35 is a non-C-clip rear axle like 90 & older XJs had. The axle shafts "bolt onto" the rear axle through a bearing inside the drums. I have had that bearing fail before & the shaft/tire go flying down the road past me - NOT FUN.

But, if you've got a lot of play in the pinion then you probably have more problems than that. A little bit of rotational play is fine, but in-out movement is bad. Pull the cover & check for metal shavings, etc, then look around for where your play is at.

Check your tcase fluid level, drain & refill. Also drain & refill the tranny's gear oil. Check your u-joints with a screwdriver & if there's any play at all in them, then they're bad.

Comment

I believe 94s have c-clips. This guy is selling a dana35 complete with axles and all for 200 off his tj. I may offer him 150 just for now to get this thing moving around If I upgrade I can always sell it pluss I will have spare parts!

Comment

Working...
                              X