replacing leaf springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replacing leaf springs

OK, anyone gotta good trick for getting the bolts out a leaf spring bushing with out a tourch or other impliment of destruction. The front bolt is turning but it is froze up in the bushing. I've burned them out before but I was hoping someone has come up with something better by now.:(
    Romans 7-8

Large cutoff wheel or bi-metal torch sawzall blade maybe?
    sigpic

Comment

Shop Press!

Comment

If you have an impact, keep at it & keep spraying it down with PB or something similar, you may get lucky with it coming loose, but probably not.

As long as that inside nut hasn't busted loose on you (THAT REALLY SUCKS) then get out the angle grinder and put a 4.5" or larger disk on it and cut that bolt off on both sides of the leaf. (this will be messy - wear gloves) Find a replacement bolt at tractor supply.

Comment

Are you taking springs out and replacing with another set?

If so, break down and use the hot wrench. If the bolt is rust-welded to the bushing sleeve it ain't coming out. And, besides, if that is the case, the bushing is fubarred anyways.

Comment

I don't even bother trying to get old spring bolts out any more. I just cut them.
            If you need to get a old bushing out here's a trick I use. It's a pit arm puller.

Comment

I already had the idea of cutting the bolt and using anew one. just wondering if some one had a new trick. I'vegot the pullers and impact and stuff. The inside nut did not brake loose, so I'm good there. Thanks guys:)
              Romans 7-8

Comment

Anyone know the size of the bolts?
                Romans 7-8

Comment

OK, swapped out the leafspring (Thanks Sarge for the leafspring) and saved the front bolt! some surgery with a 4 1/2" grinder. Was able to surgically (is that a word) remove the old bushing. Only took about 1 1/2 hour.
                  Romans 7-8

Comment

Sorry, no pics, I left the house in a hurry and didn't bring the camera
                    Romans 7-8

Comment

Working...
                    X