weld on bead locks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weld on bead locks

has anybody ever done this and how hard is it and do u put them on the front and back of the rim
    89 xj 5" rustys
    93 zj 7" rockcrawler springs with rustys long arms

very easy , most of the kits come with an inner ring and outer ring. inner ring sits inside lip of rim. just grind off paint or powder coat and center inner ring on the outer rim ( inside of lip ) and weld it all the way around. I put a bead of RTV around my weld just for a little extra defense against leaks.

Comment

do thease just go on the front of the rim
      89 xj 5" rustys

Comment

front/outside of rim,......yes
        For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

k thanks i might try them
          89 xj 5" rustys

Comment

They are simple to do but hard to get balanced for highway driving.
            sigpic

Comment

you can do them on the inside as well if you like. not common, but done sometimes.

Comment

The biggest issue with putting them on the inside of the rim would be clearance with the brakes, tie rods, etc... This varies based on the rig, axles, and rim size, but something you need to definitely check before hand.

Generally beadlocks only go on the outside of the rim. Why? Because most of the forces that cause the bead to unseat act on the outside bead of the tire, not the inside. Plus on a standard rim, in which the drop center is at outer side (meaning you mount the tires from the front of the rims) it's a lot harder to knock the bead off. Reverse center wheels (typically wheels with 2-2.5" back spacing, aka stick out further) have the drop center at the back of the wheel meaning you mount the tires from the back. I consider these poor man's beadlocks. Both myself and 78Buford run 15x8 reverse backspace wheels and have yet to throw a bead. He runs 42x15's and I run 39.5x15's, and we both run 10 or less psi all the time (he goes down to 4-5 regularly) and these are both heavy fullsize trucks.

In my years of wheeling I've seen one inner bead lost when the outer stayed put, but dozens of outer beads lost where the inner stayed put.

Comment

ok where can i get a good set of thease for a 15in rim
                  89 xj 5" rustys

Comment

i will have some more
                    within the next 2 weeks
                    when you need them?
                    For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

when ever not in any hurry how much for 4 of them
                      89 xj 5" rustys

Comment

For hard core wheeling make sure you get thick rings made from good quality steel.
                        sigpic

Comment

.....here ya go....

http://www.cincyoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1839

Comment

would u have a pic of them
                            89 xj 5" rustys

Comment

well I've been looking for a while now
                              have pic's of a muddy set
                              will keep looking
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X