Just some xj questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just some xj questions

Maybe JFiscus or anyone can help. I am just curious really.

I took off my front bumper to put on factory tow hooks. Found two things that caught my eye. First was an electrical connection right in the middle of the bumper. I don't have anything hooked up to it. I have two thoughts a) a sensor for daytime running lights or something, and b) an airbag sensor. I have a driver side airbag for sure, but I don't know if it is hooked up or where the sensor is for that thing.
    Secondly, there is a big round ball on the passenger side right behind the front bumper. It had what looks like a vacuum line running to it, but that's it. I am totally lost for this thing.

I hooked the ball back up, but like I said the electrical connection was just there, nothing coming from it. The tow hooks went in ok. After I traded some bolts in for non-torx heads. They don't look too bad either, aside from the part where you can't really even tell they are there, but that's not a bad thing either. I got a little worried doing just mild wheeling without any tow points at all. Guess it's always good to be safe. It's a daily driver, so I don't do much anyways. Oh well, I'm getting long-winded. Thanks for any ideas on this stuff.

BiggDaddy
    '82 CJ-7, 6" lift, stock axles
    258, 35x15.50x15 TSL/SX
    Rustoleum Gray

The connecter up front is most likely for an temp. sensor for the optional overhead information center (compass/temp/fuel use) or factory fog/driving lights. The round ball thing is a vacuum resivuor maybe for cruise control or something like that. These are my guesses;)
    Romans 7-8

Comment

gman is right, that's what those are.
      you need the vacuum ball to control cruise control & to be able to switch between defrost/dash/floor on the hvac, but you can move it easily by unplugging the lines then pulling them up behind the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
        you need the vacuum ball to control cruise control & to be able to switch between defrost/dash/floor on the hvac...
        Yep, and depending on your year, the front axle disconnect. Muy importante.

As for your hooks, you did use at least the factory brackets, right? When I bought mine, the tow hooks were just bolted to the unibody. That's a disaster waiting to happen...

Robert
        DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
        Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

yes on the brackets

Yes, I got the whole bracket setup. They are very similar to the rugged ridge set in the magazines.

BiggDaddy.
          '82 CJ-7, 6" lift, stock axles
          258, 35x15.50x15 TSL/SX
          Rustoleum Gray

Comment

Working...
          X