DD tire advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DD tire advice

Wanting recommedations for new shoes for wife's Acura MDX in a 235/65-17 size. I really think a set of SX's would look hot on that vehicle. But the wife said it's not going offroad except down the driveway.

I like the looks and aggresiveness of the Toyo Open Country A/T but am worried about noise.

It currently has Michelin Cross Terrain SUV and they look ok, I guess (sarcasm).

It really wouldn't matter what the vehicle is,
    hmm F250, I'm thinking Iroks
    Jeep, maybe boggers are the way to go
    VW rabbit, TLB's sure would look good
    Gandpa's Ford LTD what ag tires meet DOT standards.

OK the question is:
    What tires do you like for a daily driver that makes you feel safe sending your wife and kids out on the road whether it's snowing, raining of a crisp summer day?

[QUOTE=Bear Chow;20014]Wanting recommedations for new shoes for wife's Acura MDX in a 235/65-17 size. I really think a set of SX's would look hot on that vehicle. But the wife said it's not going offroad except down the driveway.

I like the looks and aggresiveness of the Toyo Open Country A/T but am worried about noise.

It currently has Michelin Cross Terrain SUV and they look ok, I guess (sarcasm).

QUOTE]

having worked on acuras for only 18 years i seen the begining of the mdx and the two available tires from the factory. goodyear integrity(awfull and ugly)and the michelin which looks good and lasts good but is pricey. alot of people went to the yokohama geolander due to price and its not bad wear just a little noisey so thats what i seen unless you want to go to some nice chrome 24s then thats a hole diff storey
    One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

I have had the open country on a couple different vehicles and was very satisfied. I didn't notice any more noise than one would expect from an AT.

I have the Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo on my truck now and love them. A little pricier, but great looking, a little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion. Treadwear has been great so far, and noise is minimal.

Comment

Best tire I have ever used for all terrain conditions with little noise and great wear and abused with no problems have to be the BFG all terrains! Nitto terra grapplers are a good choice also but they do not like sharp metal culvert pipes! :o
        sigpic

Comment

you could go for the Yokohama Avid H4S

I'm thinking about that for the wife's Pilot
          1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
          FJ 40 axles (4.10)
          5.14 tcase
          36" TSL SX

Comment

I had a set of Geolandar HT's on the wife's AWD Rav-4, and they were decently priced, and handled well in the snow, rain, and pavement. I would reccomend them.
            88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Comment

you really can't go wrong with any tire that has the word bf goodrich on it. that's pretty much all i've ever put on a street vehicle when buying new tires. the long trails are a great riding and driving tire that last FOREVER. had over 80,000 miles on the last set we put on the cherokee.
              zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

BFG'S are the best but for sure not the cheapest. Pep boys makes a knock off of the BFG thats pretty good and way cheaper.

Comment

I have run the Dayton Timberline A/T's for 25 years on my CJ. They didn't do too bad off road either, now I have the M/T's on it. My 94 XJ has the second set of Timberline A/T's on it. The Michelin tires that came on just sucked. I also have Daytons on the Camry also, they are great in the rain and they last a long time. Detroit Tire I Xenia has the best price around here for them.

Comment

If $ is no object......Michelin's new LTX AT 2's are a great choice for my first pick. There a very quiet,smooth ride and have great on/off road performance. If the MDX is a keeper these are by far the best in the class.

BFG A/T's again a great tire but not made in a 235/65/17. They do make a 225/70/17 that would work. They will be noiser...not much, they wear like iron and are killer on/off road performance. I see these wear 60K + with a 5K rotation and yearly alignment check's with no problems.

I sell more Toyo HT's than AT's due to the milage rating of 60K and the on/off road performance is nearly the same. They look great too. There probally my most popular seller since there priced middle of the road and a well know tire to most. The AT's are great for Trucks but for SUV's the HT is a better pick. There very quiet, great traction and performance topped off with a 60K warranty.

Joe
                    Last edited by kb9qdi; 12-10-2008, 10:41 PM.
                    06 TJ, 8.8 Aussied, 4.88's and 35" KM2's

Comment

My friend has the toyo a/t's on a pick up and the first thing he noticed was a lack of wet traction. My sister has BFG's on her grand cherokee, same thing lack of wet traction. The tread wear so far on the toyo's hasn't been to impressive either but that is different with each driver almost all the time.

I'm probably going to take a hit for this, the dueler HL or AT's have seen good service and the AT's that are not Revo's have the same compond that give them treadware and wet traction but If you don't like the bridgestone products then I would also look at the Yokohma's. Geolander HT's or the Avids. Look for the UTQ rating of any tire your interested in ( Uniform Tire Quality) even some of the Michilen products have a lower UTQ than some tires. Even a uniroyal.:)
                      Last edited by cincygman; 12-20-2008, 08:38 PM.
                      Romans 7-8

Comment

Originally posted by cincygman View Post
                        ...I'm probably going to take a hit for this...
                        What do you think this is, Pirate?

Opinions, elbows... everyone has more than one.

brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
                        Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cincygman View Post
                          Look for the UTQ rating of any tire your interested in ( Uniform Tire Quality) even some of the Michilen products have a lower UTQ than some tires. Even a uniroyal.:)
                          When looking at UTQG ratings it is important to realize that the Department of Transportation does not conduct the tests. The grades are assigned by the tire manufacturers based on their test results or those conducted by an independent testing company they have hired.

Unfortunately, the rating that is of the most interest to consumers is the one that appears to be the least consistent. While the Treadwear Grade was originally intended to be assigned purely scientifically, it has also become a marketing tool used by manufacturers to help position and promote their tires tires and thats it.

Basicly.......UTGQ can be anything the tire manufacturer wants it to be and any and all tests are done and ranked by independent testers that they hired...lol

UTGQ ratings basicly have become a marketing tool used by manufacturers to help position and promote their tires and thats it.
                          Last edited by kb9qdi; 12-20-2008, 09:52 PM.
                          06 TJ, 8.8 Aussied, 4.88's and 35" KM2's

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to wait till January. I'm really leaning towards the toyo HT's due to price. I'll either go that route or the original michelins. I just need to keep reminding myself, it's the wife's and it doesn't need an interco injection.

Comment

Thanks Tire Discounter, I always wanted to clear that one up......................:)
                              Sorry I left out the G from UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grade)
                              Romans 7-8

Comment

Working...
                              X