4.0L Motor Squeal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.0L Motor Squeal

In the jeep, a high pitched squeel developed today. I isolated it to the engine (clutch in or in neutral, noise stops). The noise develops @ 2000rpm or above. It will do it sitting still. I'm thinking it is something on belt driven side. The idler puley can be spun by hand with the motor stopped.

Opinions? I don't just want to throw usless $$$ at it, but I don't want it to fall off when I go 'wheeling.
    1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
    FJ 40 axles (4.10)
    5.14 tcase
    36" TSL SX

Have some one sit in the driver's seat and give it gas while you watch the pullies. My first bet would be loose belt, but than power steering pump or water pump. If you watch it when it begins to squeel you can actually see it stop turning even if it's for a moment. It doesn't cost any money to tighten up the belt first.

Check your power steering fluid level as well.

Comment

i had a throw out bearing make noise before when it was going bad
      89 xj 5" rustys
      93 zj 7" rockcrawler springs with rustys long arms

Comment

you are rotating the idler pulley by hand with the belt still on it? Sounds like the belt tensioner is worn out.
        sigpic

Comment

Sounds like a belt or it could be the sealed bearing in the idler pully , Mine went out a few months ago and screamed pretty loud.

But the whole clutch in thing worries me . My throw out bearing went out at the Fall crawl and there was no mistaking it it was loud !!!

Take a very long screw driver or pry bar and have someone give the Jeep some RPM's and use the screw driver / prybar like a stethascope ( SP? ) , put it on the alt. body , idler mount, water pump ..... put the handle in your ear. you will be able to locate the area the sound is coming from.

Comment

I had the bearing fail on my AC compressor that squeeled. I had belt squeeling for 2 years when the air conditioner was on before the bearing decided to go out on it.

Comment

Got it today during the warm spell

Idler pulley was just beginning to go. When it went in my previous truck, it was shifted to the side.

Thank goodness it was a $20 fix. I was afraid it was a power steering pump.
              1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
              FJ 40 axles (4.10)
              5.14 tcase
              36" TSL SX

Comment

Working...
              X