Transfer Case Issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer Case Issues?

I've got a 98 XJ that I'm actually trying to sell. When you engage the 4 wheel drive and turn the wheel, it has horrible wheel hop or skip. It doesn't seem to make a difference if your on dry pavement, snow, mud etc.... It is also rough shifting out of 4 high to 2 wheel drive. I at first suspected the transfer case, but it doesn't make any odd noises when it's skipping and hopping in circles. Which makes me think that it's not the transfer case. Any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by Berg View Post
    I've got a 98 XJ that I'm actually trying to sell. When you engage the 4 wheel drive and turn the wheel, it has horrible wheel hop or skip. It doesn't seem to make a difference if your on dry pavement, snow, mud etc.... It is also rough shifting out of 4 high to 2 wheel drive. I at first suspected the transfer case, but it doesn't make any odd noises when it's skipping and hopping in circles. Which makes me think that it's not the transfer case. Any help would be appreciated.
    not sure if it has the quick disconect axle on your model but if it does possibly a right side axle u joint that is frozen up ? just thinking out loud :confused:
    One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by Flxratd View Post
      not sure if it has the quick disconect axle on your model but if it does possibly a right side axle u joint that is frozen up ? just thinking out loud :confused:
      Nah, they killed that off in '90.

It does it even in mud and snow? That is odd. Dry pavement's a given, but if there's enough "slip" in the road surface, you shouldn't get that hop...

Sorry, I'm not much help, but I'll think on it...

Robert
      DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
      Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

is it possible that somewhere along the way, someone swapped an axle that had different gears?? but they must be somewhat close...

doesn't explain the wheels turned bit of your description, but would certainly account for binding/hopping, and difficulty shifting tcase...

are you sure it would act fine in a straight line??
        Last edited by KargoMaster; 01-31-2009, 01:00 AM.
        brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
        Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

I drove the jeep yesterday in the snow to see if I could figure out anything. It seemed that even in a straight line it would skip occasionally, hardly noticeable but you could tell if you paid enough attention to it. It was also making a loud constant noise, this has never happened. I owned the jeep for a year as a company vehicle and haven't really spent much time personally driving it, so I'm just now figuring all of this out. I know at one time it was wrecked... just thinking... a slightly bent front driveshaft?

Comment

check the gearing in each dif... seriously, it sounds exactly like it would act if I put front in low and rear in high...
            brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
              Nah, they killed that off in '90.

It does it even in mud and snow? That is odd. Dry pavement's a given, but if there's enough "slip" in the road surface, you shouldn't get that hop...

Sorry, I'm not much help, but I'll think on it...

Robert
              your right its a jeep thing that i dont understand and 92 was the last year for the disconnect so it still wouldnt apply. i like brads thought diff axle gear ratios
              Last edited by Flxratd; 01-31-2009, 01:28 PM.
              One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
                check the gearing in each dif... seriously, it sounds exactly like it would act if I put front in low and rear in high...
                That is a thought...

How bad was it wecked? If it was bad enough to bugger a control arm mount (which really isn't that hard to do) they might have just swapped in a whole junkyard axle.

And if they didn't know better, they could've grabbed one with the worng ratio.

You don't have to pull the covers and count teeth. Jack it up and rotate the driveshaft. Count how many turns to get one rotation of the tires.

Good luck!

Robert

Comment

I appreciate the help. The gear ratios was a guess of mine as well, it just seemed unlikely that anyone would have changed them. But I'll check into it. Thanks again.

Comment

Now I'm curious... wanna know if that was it... (pacing nervously)

brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Ha, I haven't had time to check it out yet. And I'm not all too motivated to do so considering I don't have space in my garage to work on it. I'll let you know as soon as I get to it. Maybe today. If anyone is interested in buying it also let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by Berg View Post
                        If anyone is interested in buying it also let me know.
                        S'not a twodoor, is it?

Robert

Comment

No not a two door. I decided not to twork on it myself considering I would have to work on it in the snow out on the street. So I took it to a local shop, and they informed me that the tires are different sizes. Which obviously changes the gear ratios. But to my defense, it's imposible to tell just by looking at it. That should have been the first thing I looked at, but I figured that if somebody changed them they would have put the right size on it. Anyway, thanks for the help. If anyone wants to buy it, I part with it for 3k. Thanks.

Comment

mixed tire sizes could be an issue :o
                            sigpic

Comment

Aahhh, poop, didn't think that far down the driveline... I was sooo close...

Thanks for the followup, I get to sleep better tonight.

Post up some pics, will help to sell it...

Hope they didn't charge you anything to tell you that...
                              brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X