front & rear bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front & rear bumper

I'm going to take a stab at making simple square tube front and rear bumpers with 3" hitch. How thick should the tube be without being overkill?

Thanks

Paul

What size tubing?

1/4" wall is heavy but strong.

Comment

I was planning a trip to the scrap yard to see what I can find. 2x3 3x3 2x4 I thought 1/4" might be on the excessive side. So I figured, I would see what a typical thickness would be.

Comment

<---- big fan of 1/4" wall or greater...

but I know I'm strange...
        brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
        Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

A pretty good rule is, Pick it up if it's not heavy ass hell? Find one that is!

Comment

3/16 works well and there is a special receiver hitch stock that doesn't have a seam inside of it. It is pricey but a foot will make two hitches.

Comment

Find an old crappy trailer hitch and cut the reciver and tow chain loops off and use them in your build. Might be able to get a crappy old hitch for free.

3/16" is thicker that what most manufacturers use.

Comment

ive always used 3/16th. and you can pic up receiver weld in fittings at tractor supply and harbor fraight. what thickness can your welder handle? most 120 migs are 3/16th.

Comment

I've got 5-10' lengths of 3"x3"x3/16 wall tube ...$30 each

They originally had base plates welded on them that I cut off with a torch.

Comment

Working...
                  X