Pressing or beating AMC 20 axle bearing on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressing or beating AMC 20 axle bearing on

I was watching the Scout build link and at the end it showed what looked to be them beating the axle bearing on the 44 axle shaft with a piece of pipe.

Does the 44 bearing go on with less force then the AMC 20 bearing?????? I have been told beating a bearing on is a no no, but I have the bearing beater ready to go when I do mine.

Should I have it and the keeper ring pressed on or would you beat them on??????????

<--- in favor of using a press for anything that needs pressed....
    but I will resort to whatever gets the job done.
    brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
    Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Press make the job much easier with less chance of bearing damage.
      1994 YJ, 4.0, 5 speed.

*2006 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 4x4 Auto,Quad cab, LongBed, Tekonsha Prodigy(Tow Rig)

Comment

If you plan on beating the bearing on use some heat to help out. ;)
        sigpic

Comment

if you do have to beat a bearing on... do it with a piece of tube that contacts the inner race, it's the strongest part of the bearing. YOu dont want to push on the balls/needles or the outer race. I don't agree with heat to install a bearing at all either, not direct extreme torch heat anyway. Acceptable to heat one up in an oven to expand it.

but, don't be a retard, use a press. If you don't have, get a friend with one, come down and use mine, whatever... the word "beating" should never be used with bearings unless you need to beat one off of something.

Comment

Heat a pan of oil and put the bearing in it by hanging it with coat hanger so not to sit on bottom to install. This will heat the whole bearing and not just one side .Depending on style of bearing and weither or not its got seals or not. (rubber seal or metal seal )

depending on size of bearing but from 100 deg to 350 deg will work . Any more
            you can destroy bearing by possibly removing heatreat from steel.

We actually used a turkey fryer set up to do ours and be carefull not to burn the oil so whatever oil you are using make sure it can handle the heat you will be applying to it.

Shawn

Comment

turkey fryer of oil... genius shawn, thanks. in my book of tips now.

Comment

I bought a turkey fryer last year and like a smoked turkey better. Now that I bought a new smoker that is a good idea for the freier.

Comment

i have tapped them in before with no troubles. just use and ruber mallet loaded with shot or sand and a pipe the some size as the inner race made from a slightly softer metal. take your time and tap it in slow. oven baking works well too. dad used to actually heat motor oil in one of moms old cast iron pots (that she dropped and chipped the edge off of) and float the bearing in the middle of the oil suspended with a coat hanger. always worked for him, and to this day still seems fine (rebuilt his 44's about 8-10 years ago?) under is 70 land crusher...err... cruiser. haha.
                  Last edited by acousticrawk; 02-18-2009, 05:51 PM.
                  http://springfieldohiojeepers.freeforums.org/index.php

Comment

I had to cut the end off of my bearing beater to make a thing to hold the crank on the Camry. It worked good on the cam sprocket too so didn't have to pull the valve cover again. Anyway I need to true the end of the bearing beater again, but that is a good use for the deep fryer.

Comment

Originally posted by GPER View Post
                      I had to cut the end off of my bearing beater to make a thing to hold the crank on the Camry. It worked good on the cam sprocket too so didn't have to pull the valve cover again. Anyway I need to true the end of the bearing beater again, but that is a good use for the deep fryer.
                      yum chicken fried bearing beaters are my favorite
                      One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

does no one own a shop press? it's an invaluable tool.

Comment

Originally posted by carwash View Post
                          does no one own a shop press? it's an invaluable tool.
                          I DO!!! the pump (gaint jack cylinder) leaks and needs rebuilt though... :mad:

thats what i get for buying second hand i suppose:o

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=4711

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=33497

if you where industrious enough, you could make your own!
                          http://springfieldohiojeepers.freeforums.org/index.php

Comment

yes, you can build your own, but by the time you buy your i-beams, the steel, the solid rod, the springs, the flat plate for arbors, the jack etc, Yer just as good going with harbor freight. Just watch those arbors, i have heard of them exploding. thread on pirate somewhere.

Comment

I read that thread and the 20 ton will be on sale in March for about 200 bucks I think that add said. I have thought about one, but don't have the room for that too.

Comment

Working...
                              X