auto tranny only shifting manually?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto tranny only shifting manually?

thinking of getting a 97 TJ (trading my YJ for a moderately built/easier to sell TJ). anyways, the TJ is a 4.0l auto with 84,000. the problem with it is, you have to shift it manually. if you put it in Drive, it takes off REALLY slowly. i'm guessing it is sticking in 2nd or 3rd. anyways, think this is something that a flush would fix or is this more of a rebuild or replace it type of problem.

greg
    zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

If this jeep is yellow, I know the past owner. If you can not get it to go in first at all, then chances are not good for a simple flush fix. Probably needs a rebuild. Those trannys are cheap to rebuild. Without first gear in an auto trans. means that the gearing will be pretty steep! :(
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 94Dodge Truggy View Post
      If this jeep is yellow, I know the past owner. If you can not get it to go in first at all, then chances are not good for a simple flush fix. Probably needs a rebuild. Those trannys are cheap to rebuild. Without first gear in an auto trans. means that the gearing will be pretty steep! :(
      no, it's black. look in general, and there is a pic of it, it's from stanton ky.

anyways, it will go in if you shift it manually, just won't do it if you leave it in drive. manually up and down shifting works fine. just if you leave it in drive, it accelerates really slowly (i have no first hand experience with this, as i haven't driven it/seen it in person yet).

greg

Comment

Does it have an external shift control box?
        I've heard of them going bad on some cars & only letting you shift manually.

Comment

Sounds like it has a manual valve body installed. in my tranny, it starts in whatever gear i put it in. If i put it in 3, it starts in third. Ask if the tranny had any work done to it.

Comment

If the trans is a stocker, then a manual valve body does not exist from what I researched in the past.
            sigpic

Comment

talked to the guy. it didn't do it when he got it, but does it now. it does have an electric locking torque converter????? what ever that is, he said the guy before him had it installed. something about a switch to flip when you get over a certain speed or RPM, it works like and overdrive? sounds like a sh%^&y setup to me, and something that will probably be removed if i keep it. i'm thinking a good flush with a sealer and conditioner should take care of the problem. i've had one do it before, and this was the solution. he said you can drive it all day long shifting it manually without a problem, just won't shift on it's own. i'm guessing a clogged jet somewhere.

greg

Comment

I will try to get you an answer tomorrow ! This is happening to a guy I knows ZJ and I was supposed to get him an answer last week and forgot

Comment

My trans Guy said it was either a sensor or ECM problem and a can should tell you what was wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by sarge View Post
                    My trans Guy said it was either a sensor or ECM problem and a can should tell you what was wrong.

a can or a scan?

greg

Comment

ha, OPPS kind of hard to hook a can up to the puter !!!!

Comment

Isnt that the AW-4 Aisin trans? Same as the Toyota A340. There are a few shift solenoids that go bad in the trans.

Here is a Toy FSM that details the solenoids....might help if its set up the same as the AW-4... http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-b...autotrans.html
                        88 4Runner, 350 V8 swap in progress

http://staff.4x4wire.com/adamf

Comment

Working...
                        X