05 4.0 6 cyl. swap in a 95 doable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 05 4.0 6 cyl. swap in a 95 doable?

I have a 2005 4.0 6 cyl. automatic motor and am considering installing it in my 95 4.0 auto jeep. Motor mounts I heard are different but what about bolting up to my 999 auto and wiring and all that jazz? I also have a 1995 360 5.9 motor from a 1 ton ram and am considering this also. The current 4.0 motor has been a soldier but the lack of oil pressure has finally got the mains rattling and soon something will be flying out the pan!
    sigpic

I think if you use the long block form the 05 motor and use your intake,wireing ect you will be fine.
    you tranny will bolt up to the newer motor also

Comment

I have an 05 intake already and it looks like it will swap. I was told that the passengers side motor mount is different and will need modifications.
      sigpic

Comment

you will need to keep your flywheel, they are off by about a 1/16'' of an inch to each other on one hole, and it sucks to figure that out when you have the engine in, wired, plumbed, and you left 2 of the flywheel bolts to tighten down for last, ask me how i know. you will need to use your intake and fuel injection also, you will need to drill and tap a new hole for the temp gauge, unless you switch to aftermarket, and you will need to do some cutting, grinding, drilling, and tapping to get your factory motor mounts to fit (all the bosses are cast into the block for all the different motor mounts, but are not the correct lengths, nor are they drilled and tapped). i did mine in about 6 hours in the old yj. tranny will bolt directly up still, be careful not to cut the wire on the CPS also, that one really sucks if you just pinch it just enough to not be able to actually see the cut, may take a day or 2 to figure out why the damn thing wouldn't start. all in all, it's a pretty straight forward easy swap, just getting the motor mount to fit up right is the only time consuming part. hell, took us under a half hour to have the motor pulled when we figured out the flywheel wouldn't work.
        zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Working...
        X