Lug Nut seized!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lug Nut seized!!

I went to take the rear wheels of my XJ so I can start doing the lift and some other stuff today and found out that all five nuts on the driver side are Seized and one on the pass. side. The pass. side one I just used a air hammer and beat it till it was gone and I will replace the lug but the others are just to many to beat off. I mean I beat a socket two sizes small on one and put a 24" breaker bar with another 24" bar on it and it just stripped it around and I put a bend in my new breaker bar! :mad: Then my BIG Impact beat it till the socket was to hot to touch and nothing but stripping! I do not won't to spend a week Drilling them all out any help? Used PB blaster I used everything but heating them up and going to sears and looking for a 19mm stripped nut extractor or whatever they are What do you guys recommend? Were can I get a nut splitter that will fit into the deeper wheels?

grinder?

what axle are we talking about here...? any way to get the hub off and grind them from the other side?
    brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
    Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

If you have steel wheels or dont care about the rim you should be able to use a good impact wrench to shear them off by over tighting the lugnuts.
      But if you have aluminium rims you could damage the rims.

soak with oil is the only other posibility ?????

Shawn

Comment

If it has drum brakes pull the axle out and grind the back off the studs drive them out and replace them

Comment

Originally posted by BROWN View Post
          If it has drum brakes pull the axle out and grind the back off the studs drive them out and replace them
          I hope to not have to do that but if it comes to it I will! They are recessed in the rims so I can't just grind them off or I would have already. I may try on of those lug nut extractors but they are $25 I'd have to take it back after and get my money back Ha. Or I'll just drill!:(

Comment

Take a cut off wheel and cut an ''X" right down the middle of the nut and stud. Cut down as close to the wheel as you can without touching it. Then they'll spin right off! You'll have to replace them oviously,but it sounds like they need replaced anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts View Post
              Take a cut off wheel and cut an ''X" right down the middle of the nut and stud. Cut down as close to the wheel as you can without touching it. Then they'll spin right off! You'll have to replace them oviously,but it sounds like they need replaced anyway
              They are recessed in the rims There is no WAY to reach them with a cut off wheel!

Comment

So here's what gets me... :confused:

I asked you what kind of axle... no answer.
                Shawn made mention of the differences in wheel material... no indication what you're scratching your head staring at...

We're giving you ideas about how to fix this problem with less than 1/4 of the information that we could really use to help you (not to mention a few quick pictures of the situation), and you're the one that is yelling at us...

You might be the first person on my ignore list ever.
                brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Put away the hammers and cutting wheels!

If you're going to replace the studs/nuts anyway, heat them up with a rosebud and then try the impact.

Good luck.

Comment

The problem is that I have a suspicion that his wheels are Aluminum (the "recessed" thing), although he's yet to tell us that, and he would end up melting them.
                    brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
                      So here's what gets me... :confused:

I asked you what kind of axle... no answer.
                      Shawn made mention of the differences in wheel material... no indication what you're scratching your head staring at...

We're giving you ideas about how to fix this problem with less than 1/4 of the information that we could really use to help you (not to mention a few quick pictures of the situation), and you're the one that is yelling at us...

I kind of felt the same way

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post

You may be onto something here!

Comment

I got a better Idea.

Unbolt the ubolts from the leaves, remove the axle.

NO more stuck lug nuts:p
                          1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
                          FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                          5.14 tcase
                          36" TSL SX

Comment

Well I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings but I didn't even mean for that to be in all caps and as for pics there is nothing to see they still look like a wheel with all the lug nuts on it you can't even tell if they are stripped. So I'm sorry but I have spent the last two days trying to get these lugs off because some r-tard put on lug nuts that after close inspection of the ones that did come off, look to be to damn small! I got the Pass side wheel off today cause I only had one seized lug so I drilled it out and found about 6 over stupid things I have to fix before I can even get started (like only one rear shock which is held on with pull ties cause the bolt has been broken half off!!)I didn't tell you which axle cause until today I had not even checked it and It is a D35 and the wheels are aluminum. As for the recessed thing It was in the post right above NUTS
                            I hope to not have to do that but if it comes to it I will! They are recessed in the rims so I can't just grind them off or I would have already. I may try on of those lug nut extractors but they are $25 I'd have to take it back after and get my money back Ha. Or I'll just drill!
                            . So you can add me to your ignore list if you want but some times I'll ask a question and put in the info and I fell like people just do a quick read and just throw out and answers without reading all the posts. Pulling the axle shaft would be the end all beat all last thing I would want to do but I think I have got enough input to get them off. Again I'm sorry if I hurt anyones feelings I didn't know you guys were so sensitive.

Comment

It's all good, we're just trying to help.. blind.

It just goes to show that a picture is worth a thousand words... I still want to see this thing.

Why so vehement about taking the shaft out? Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but some cover bolts, a little oil, a C-clip and the thing slips right out, No?
                              brad

Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X