Running 33s with 3.55 gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 33s with 3.55 gear

Has anyone ran 33s with a 3.55 gear. I drive my jeep on the road and on the trails and i need some advice. Im not sure if i have all the money to gear it out at the time. So Im just lookin for a second opinion
    BYAAH!!!

I did it.

It sucked.

I survived.

Robert
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Details on the Jeep (XJ, YJ, 4.0L, auto, 5-speed)?

A lot of "Jeeps" came with 3.07/3.08 gears stock, so 33's with 3.55 isn't a whole lot worse than the 3.07 and stock tire setup.

Like said above, it's not the optimum setup by any means but you can get by with it.

Comment

I had 33 s on my cj with 2.73 gears it ran just slower.

Comment

I have 33s with 3.08 in my TJ and rarely see 5th gear...couldn't get out of it's own way if it had to.
          I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Originally posted by blazerbrad View Post
            Details on the Jeep (XJ, YJ, 4.0L, auto, 5-speed)?

A lot of "Jeeps" came with 3.07/3.08 gears stock, so 33's with 3.55 isn't a whole lot worse than the 3.07 and stock tire setup.

Like said above, it's not the optimum setup by any means but you can get by with it.
            Well, username "FrankensteinXJ," so I assumed that...

And XJ's are pretty predictable: four-poppers got 410s, sticks got 307s, and 4.0 autos were 355s.

So I'm sure that's what he's got...

Robert
            DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
            Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

4.10's would be perfect! Lets see a pic of the vehicle we are talking about.
              sigpic

Comment

gears

ive got stock 4.10's in my 89 ford ranger with 35's. does great off road, but slow on the take off on the streets. ive also ran 28's and 30's before too and did excelent off road. had much better wheel spin with the smaller tires but still gets it good with 35's. you dont by chance happen to have a set of used 33's with decent tread layin around you wanna get rid of do you?? im in need of new tires.

Jon

Comment

Its an automatic 4.0 litre. Thanks for the input, I think ill stick with the 3.55 for now because its expensive as s*** to buy the ring and pinion and pay someone to put them in haha. So maybe when im not laid off ill find the money to do it, but i think ill deal with it for now. Thank you all
                  BYAAH!!!

Comment

I ran 32's on 3.55's for two years on my 87 xj 4.0 auto.. It wasn't to bad..

Mainly slowed you down on the hills at hwy speeds.

Nick
                    Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
                    Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Been doing it for years, sucked much worse when I had a tired out motor, but with a decent motor & tranny it aint too bad. My recommendation though is to get a set of cheap ass ATs for daily driving & save your mud tires for wheeling. I've burnt off some nice tread using my XJ as a daily driver in the past, now it's just a trailer queen though. Another suggestion is to add a trans cooler, as big tires on stock gears is about the same as towing a trailer all the time, leading to a hot trans, leading to trans failure eventually.

I have a complete 4.10 geared XJ for sale for $250 for you to regear your axles with, then sell the rest for parts/scrap. May drop a little on the price or deliver it if you're really interested in it, lol.

Comment

I have run the 3.54 gears with 33 inch tires on my CJ for 30 years. Since you have a slush box you should be fine. Do they make lower gears for your transfer case???? I have a case with the Tera Low gears in it, but it is still sitting in the garage. The only problem I have is when I'm pulling my Polaris, but she gets it done.

Comment

are you talking about in an XJ? need to know what tranny also, there's too many other gearing variables to work in with different trannies for anyone to be able to properly answer your question.
                          zuk buggy.....it'll be a jeep eventually.

Comment

Working...
                          X