hydro steering runout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hydro steering runout

I am running an older danfoss orbital valve connected to the end of my steering shaft where the original steering box used to be. It is utilizing the original power steering pump and I have a single ended ram to turn the wheels. It is easy to steer but hard to keep straight. I have to constantly correct the steering to keep it straight. Has anyone ran a full hydro setup for onroad use with good success? Wondering if a double ended ram is necessary and if I should try another orbital valve. Any ideas?
    sigpic

there is a difference the same as steering gear boxes as far as ratio.

we had toyota fork lifts that steered too quick at high speed but our hyster did not have this problem.

they are the same set up. Find a fork lift guy to talk to to see what the ratio of yours is.

just my opinion of what I have incountered.

Shawn

Comment

With the unbalanced (single ended ram) system, you can't really have a return to center hydrostatic steering unit... (aka: orbital valve) but with a balanced system (double ended ram or two opposing singles) you could look into the return to center system, which also would give you more feedback from the road/rocks... I think that is often what is missing for folks too, just some sort of feedback...

my $.02
      brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
      Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

I think I am going to set the tj up just like the black yj with hydro assist. Looking at redneck ram, psc and howe kits now.
        sigpic

Comment

IF your scu is load reactive and IF your caster is set up correct, you should be able to let off the wheel after a turn and the steering will self center, just like with mechanical linkage. if you have a non load reactive scu, it will "lock" in place whearever you take your hands off the wheel, regardless of caster. also, non load reactive will not provide the steering "feel", like when your up against a rock, you may not know it strictly by the steering feedback.
          i hate non loadreactive scu's because of the return to center problem you described, and cause its so easy to break stuff since your just turning the wheel, unaware that your front is pinched between rocks.

i never had a problem with a single ended ram in the past, but i put a lot of effort into matching up the components. currently running a psc double ended ram, though for different reasons. sorry im not more help

hows your caster?
          Last edited by yellowjacket; 07-19-2009, 10:56 AM.
          my next rig will be on the trail before zuk 2.0 will

Comment

If your looking for assist stuff I have...

NEW-2wd AGR Sag. style steering box and new high flow AGR pump new lines and new double ended Surplus Center ram. I'm selling because I'm going with a full hydro POS deal on my money pit.

I ran a duplicate of this set-up on my old K5 and it worked great ... don't let people tell you that assist and double ended rams are a crazy idea...very good balance

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JeffK5 View Post
              If your looking for assist stuff I have...

NEW-2wd AGR Sag. style steering box and new high flow AGR pump new lines and new double ended Surplus Center ram. I'm selling because I'm going with a full hydro POS deal on my money pit.

I ran a duplicate of this set-up on my old K5 and it worked great ... don't let people tell you that assist and double ended rams are a crazy idea...very good balance

Jeff
              How much? Lines included? Box bolt up to tj frame location and splines same? Thanks, Scott
              sigpic

Comment

Don't know what fits on a TJ... Here are pics from AGR.

It's hard to cross reference from there page. AGR spec'd this stuff in for a 79 Chevy truck with high/cross steering arms.

Cross-over box is a SB1 with ram ports .. like $360
                Super-P pump was like $145
                Line kit $45
                Ram was $150

Make offer , I have around $700 in the whole deal.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                X