What ring and pinion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ring and pinion?

How do i figure out what gear is in my axle? Incase someone knows off the top of their head, its a 14 bolt full floater in a 1988 3/4 ton,2wd suburban with a 454 and Th400.

well if this is an option jack up the burb and rotate the tires one turn and count how many times the yoke on the pinion turns and that will get you close. if you have a grease pencil to make a spot on each it makes it easier also.
    One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that and that there would be a number stamped somewhere I haven't found yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuts View Post
        Yeah, I was hoping to avoid that and that there would be a number stamped somewhere I haven't found yet.
        well it could still have the sticker on the inside of the glove box that has all your option codes on it but i think by then they were all codes and you would still have to dissect the numbers unless some chevy geek has them all memorized
        One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

I have my bet on 3.73.
          sigpic

Comment

There should be a series of numbers on the ring gear. If you get the numbers, I can tell you the ratio. 41 10 is 4.10 41 11 is 3.73, etc.

Comment

u can get it from the code in the bottom of the inside of the glove box
              look for the one that starts with g
              gt4=3.43
              gt5=4.10
              gu4=3.08
              gu5=3.23
              gu6=3.42
              1 starts with h
              hc4=4.56
              g80 means its a limited slip or posietractoion
              For you guys who can't drive, I have owned a frame rack for several years. Prices are based on your skill and ability to wreck it....

Comment

Originally posted by fabricator View Post
                u can get it from the code in the bottom of the inside of the glove box
                look for the one that starts with g
                gt4=3.43
                gt5=4.10
                gu4=3.08
                gu5=3.23
                gu6=3.42
                1 starts with h
                hc4=4.56
                g80 means its a limited slip or posietractoion
                Thanks man! Its a GT5 so I have what I was hoping for.

Comment

Just remember that the code in the glovebox was what it came with from the factory 20+ years ago. Probably a good chance the axle and gears are still original, but unless you are confident of the history of the truck there is always a chance it was swapped out at some point in it's life. The only 100% sure way is to pull the cover and check the numbers stamped on the ring gear.

Comment

Working...
                  X