Windshield replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield replacement

Need a new windshield in my Blazer, but hate to pay what any of the local glass shops are quoting. There are tons of old Chevy trucks with good glass sitting the junkyards so my thoughts were having a used windshield installed, and maybe finding somebody on the side to do it.

Issues with swapping in used windshields?

Any connections on somebody with experience doing this?

Some people say it's easy to do, some say it's hard. I'm sure it's all about knowing the right way to do it so I would prefer to at least have an experienced helper.

what year is it and where are you located

Comment

Originally posted by jmb8813 View Post
      what year is it and where are you located
      It's a '90 K5, so same windshield and rubber gasket/seal they have used since 1973.

I live outside Columbus but lots of family on the North side of Cincy (Reading, Mason, Fairfield) and am down that way frequently. It would be worth it to haul it down there one weekend for the right price.

Comment

go to car-part.com & get your own glass for cheap on there or a local junkyard, clean it up very good yourself. Then find a reasonable installer to put it in.

At work we use Mike's Auto Glass (installs on-site in Cincinnati area) 513-289-8953. He does good work quickly. Tell him Jason from In-Service recommended him.

Comment

Brad they are not hard really at all because they use a 2 piece rubber seal. Take a look at yours you will see there is a harder plastic insert all the way around the seal. pop it out of the rubber this takes the pressure off the glass. Slow push out the glass from the inside working out of the seal. then reinstall the new glass in the seal use a little soapy water get it all back in go slow. Then run the insert back around to tighten it all up.

Just a little time and patience.

I will look to see if I have any good glass left in the Barn.

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

Scrapped out the fiberglass topper for the K5 and it looks to use the exact same type of rubber seal on the side glass. Took about 30 seconds a side to pop them out. Going to call the junkyards and get prices on a used windshield.

Comment

Working...
            X