Flat Fender Frenzy, FFF 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Fender Frenzy, FFF 2009

Thought I would share a little of this past weekend's adventure with all of you. I took my 3A to Bainbridge, Ohio to wheel with a group of other flatfenders. There were 15 of us in all. Most were stock units but one early Willys had a Pinto engine. Another had a Buick odd-fire V6, with lockers front and rear plus four wheel disc brakes. Awesome machine. Some others had a single locker, either front or rear. We wheeled on property operated by "Lost Valley Jeep Offroad." There were wood trails as well as rock gardens of various degrees of difficulty. Although there were a couple of muddy spots, there were no major mud holes for mud hole sake. There were many trails well beyond the capabilities of my 60 hp with two open differentials. Non-the-less, I am surprised as to what it will do. I also learned from watching others, how much more capability a vehicle gains with the addition of lockers. I guess that will be a future project.

In the one picture, you do indeed see a winch cable attached to my front bumper. I just couldn't make the climb, but I was only one of three that tried the hill. This is the last portion of a stair stepped climb. I was thrilled to have made it up the first two sections of the climb.

Late Saturday, we headed back to camp after a day of wheeling. All seemed to be going well. Then when I shifted into 2nd the 3A started vibrating and making a bunch of noise. Couldn't figure out why after looking underneath. The driveshaft was tight and appeared to be straight. So, I drove the 5 miles or so back to camp in 1st gear. Since the wheeling was done for the weekend, upon reaching camp, I loaded it on the trailer in time for supper. Supper was a shrimp boil. Shrimp, crawfish, two types of sausage, potatoes, corn on the cob, and chicken all cooked together in one large pot.

So, the big picture is my carnage and what I am hopefull is the extent of the problem with my vibration. This is the parking brake coming out of the transfer case. In addition to the missing piece, the drum is fractured nearly 1/2 way around. I think I broke it in the rock garden. I made it up the garden on Friday with some assistance from a spotter. I then went down the garden and back up it again Saturday. Obviously, Saturday's climb was the damaging one.

Fun, fun, fun.

John

[ATTACH]1611[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1612[/ATTACH]
    sigpic1950 CJ3A. Oddfire 225 V6, T-86 transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, 4 wheel disc brakes, locked front and rear. Manual saginaw steering. Warn winch, 9,000#.

Very cool John, it had to be awesome to see all that old iron on the trails.

Comment

Thanks for sharing John..very cool!
      I want to be the reason you look down at your phone and smile........then walk into a pole.

Comment

Originally posted by redcj3a View Post
        Another had a Buick odd-fire V6, with lockers front and rear plus four wheel disc brakes. Awesome machine. Some others had a single locker, either front or rear.
        [ATTACH]1611[/ATTACH]
        Sounds like a guy I know named Mike. Was it olive drab with a white star on the hood (ala military style) with 33" Buckshots?

Comment

Your picture is definitely an "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can..." moment. Looks like it's time to fab some parking brake armor for 'ol Red.

Just messin' with ya'

Very nice!

Comment

Blazerbrad,

Yes, the guy with the awesome Willys was Mike from south of Zanesville. I met him earlier this year at a novice ride put on by another club. I have talked to him quite a bit about installing disc brakes on my 3A and how he did it. I told him about this frenzy (FFF) and he attended along with his wife.

He pretty much made the hills look easy. He was an awful nice guy also.

Tom, You are right, the 3A and I tried and tried, but just couldn't make it past a rock more stubborn than we were.

John
            sigpic1950 CJ3A. Oddfire 225 V6, T-86 transmission, Dana 18 transfer case, 4 wheel disc brakes, locked front and rear. Manual saginaw steering. Warn winch, 9,000#.

Comment

Lost Valley is a great place to wheel, haven't been there in a few years - it always seems I have things scheduled when they have an event.

Comment

Sweet...

Nice carnage on the Dana18... Do you have another 18 sitting around or do you think that drum will be hard to acquire?

I'm guessing you're right about that causing the vibration... I'm with TomH... get some armor on that spot...

brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
                Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by redcj3a View Post
                  Blazerbrad,

Yes, the guy with the awesome Willys was Mike from south of Zanesville. I met him earlier this year at a novice ride put on by another club. I have talked to him quite a bit about installing disc brakes on my 3A and how he did it. I told him about this frenzy (FFF) and he attended along with his wife.

He pretty much made the hills look easy. He was an awful nice guy also.

Tom, You are right, the 3A and I tried and tried, but just couldn't make it past a rock more stubborn than we were.

John
                  I've been wheelin' with Mike for 10 years and he's had that Willy's on the trail since about that time. He's about like having MacGyver with you as he can fix anything, and he can literally diagnose issues by sound over the CB. His flatfender has been on its side and wheeled hard so it is amazing it stills looks the way it does. He also wheels a near mint black YJ that looks like it should be a mall-cruiser.....oh, and on his off weekends he runs a railbuggy on the trails.

Comment

Working...
                  X