Axle Swap Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axle Swap Complete

I just finished my axle swap. The 8.8 is in. I used the stock yj leafs in a soa configuration, Russell brake lines and JKS quick disconnects. It rides like a dream rather than the log truck it used to be.

One question I have is:
    what can I do for leaf springs that are as flexable and soft as the yj's but have additional support at the front eye. (I have noticed a bit of a bend) I cannot tolerate ANY additional height. I had thought about the RE 1.5 SOA springs, but I dont want or need the additional height. Does this leave me with getting custom springs like alcans?
    1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
    FJ 40 axles (4.10)
    5.14 tcase
    36" TSL SX

Some spring packs have what is called a military wrap. It is an extra main spring that wraps around the front and rear bolt area. I have had big ****s and old man emu springs with this and worked well. Congrats and good luck!
    sigpic

Comment

Were the leaves new? Is it possible they're just sagging a little, and new YJ springs would give you the ride, height, and arch you want?

Personally, I don't think I'd worry about a "bit of a bend," if it sat and rode right. I'd keep an eye on it to see if it got worse, but I'd just run it.

Good luck!

Robert
      DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
      Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

No, the yj springs were not new. I like the ride height and I am going to run the springs, I was just wondering where to go when the inevitable happened.
        FJ 40 axles (4.10)
        5.14 tcase
        36" TSL SX

Comment

Saw you on rt4 today! Looked good!
          sigpic

Comment

If it looked good, then it rides even better. I had no idea how much of a buckboard wagon ride the ProComp rear springs were!

Can't wait to wheel it
            FJ 40 axles (4.10)
            5.14 tcase
            36" TSL SX

Comment

A stock wrangler springs will sag pretty good and even more over time in a SOA application. You can get alot of axle wrap. Best thing to is to add a full add a leaf that goes right under the main leaf to both end. Or take another set of wrangler springs and cut the eyes off the main leaf and add them to the pack. This will still ride nice and help with sag. But you most likey will still have axle wrap under a load so you might look into a traction bar.

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by JET455 View Post
                A stock wrangler springs will sag pretty good and even more over time in a SOA application. You can get alot of axle wrap. Best thing to is to add a full add a leaf that goes right under the main leaf to both end. Or take another set of wrangler springs and cut the eyes off the main leaf and add them to the pack. This will still ride nice and help with sag. But you most likey will still have axle wrap under a load so you might look into a traction bar.
                Exactly what I had to do and it worked perfect.
                91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

I forgot to mention that it does have a traction bar.
                  Attached Files
                  FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                  5.14 tcase
                  36" TSL SX

Comment

Then do the extra leafs and you are done...

if i am not currently offending you, i will be shortly.

Comment

An option is finding a local spring shop and having them make either just an extra leaf (should be able to do a military wrap). This should be cheaper than either buying an aftermarket spring pack for some pricey customer mail order stuff. A couple guys in our club have used a local spring shop (it's in Zanesville, so probably not a good choice for the Cincy crowd), but they have had good luck and prices are good.

Comment

Ready for WV this month?
                        sigpic

Comment

I need to do something about OBA and wire in the solenoids for the ARB.

Other than that, yes
                          FJ 40 axles (4.10)
                          5.14 tcase
                          36" TSL SX

Comment

Originally posted by Hope Springs Hauler View Post

Other than that, yes
                            http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/h...ctures-378082/

Comment

Originally posted by Hope Springs Hauler View Post

Other than that, yes
                              When you getting my compressor?
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X