Tech Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Tip

Here is a tech tip for some on deep water and automatic transmissions.

Don't do it!

Had mine rebuilt even though it shifted and worked most of the time except on steep hills it would go neutral and would have completely given up eventually. I flushed it 4 times! Headed to haspin last weekend to give it a trial run before the next big trip and could not save it. :(
    sigpic

waiting till the last minute huh
    One of these days Zuk 2.0

Comment

hehehe

ahh that reminds me of many broken memories with atf looking like pepto bismol on scottys glasses lol .
      it works fine aslong as you take precautionary measures like locking dipstick tube real long trans vent tube , just dont let the engine stall or its toast lol
      i surely dont miss taking cases of atf to the woods ..just incase

Comment

Thats exactly how my Jeep got a v-8. Toasted the tranny at Haspin (ATF will eat through a styrophoam cooler). Had a T-18 sitting in the garage and the rest just happened.
        91 fj 80 on 37 Nitto Muds with a 10k winch. Cage and sliders coming soon.

Comment

Yep, autos do not tolerate water at all. Most Jeep/Chrylers ones are pretty bad about getting water in them because the vent is inside the bellhousing and you can't easily run a higher vent.

Comment

Tech tip... riiiiight.

Looks like we need a "whiners" forum...

Everyone has there own opinion...
            Mine: Life is much simpler with 3 pedals.
            brad

5.0L | 435 | 203 | 300 | 4.10 | 39.5
            Buildup BACK underway...

sigpic

Comment

Hmm... Think I mounted both the trans and t/c vents high in the engine compartment back in feb.

You got me wondering...:confused:

Nick
              Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
              Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

Originally posted by KargoMaster View Post
                Tech tip... riiiiight.

Looks like we need a "whiners" forum...

Everyone has there own opinion...
                Mine: Life is much simpler with 3 pedals.
                how is 3 pedals simpler than 2?
                sigpic

Comment

The wrangler trans is much worse in water for some reason. It seems like everyone I know with an auto wrangler has had their trans replaced after deep water, at least once. For some reason the Xjs trannys don't mind the water, even full of it you can flush it a couple times & good as new from what I've seen.

Comment

hahaha, 3 pedals, 2 pedals, no pedals, 9 pedals... it's all the same to brad and his non moving project...

I don't think brad even recalls which pedal does what in his rig.

I fought 2 pedals for a long time, and in the limited time that i have driven my rig... it's very nice, honestly.

Comment

Working...
                    X