convert to electric fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• convert to electric fan

my a/c clutch is bad and i have been thinking of converting to electric fans i know it can give you more power and gas mileage but does it cool as good or better....anyone have thoughts or tips for me thanks

With you liking mud, I'd stay with a mechanical fan
    1988 Suzuki Samurai on propane
    FJ 40 axles (4.10)
    5.14 tcase
    36" TSL SX

Comment

what about adding a electric fan in front of the radiator with a on/off switch

Comment

Yep ,I would run both...

Nick
        Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
        Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Comment

A/C clutch? I thought it was just your fan clutch slipping?

The hotrod guys will ditch the mechanical fan to free up a few high-rpm horses, but I don't think it would make much difference on our low-revving 4.0's.

Certainly not enough to make it worth the bother of working out an electric, and the greater risk of trail-failure.

I'd just replace the clutch.

Robert
          DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
          Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

typo i didnt mean a/c clutch

Comment

When I converted my jeep 2.5L to an electric fan I wired it to a switch and intended to put a thermal switch in line but never did. It was a very easy conversion. I measured the inner diameter of the fan shroud. Went to the junk yard and found just the right fan. It was out of a Cadillac is all i remember. The fan was larger than the diameter of the shroud. It had a round enclosure with 4 bolt tabs to hold it in place. I cut the tabs off and literally dropped it in the shroud. put 6 small self tapping screws thru the shroud and into the fan enclosure and wired it up.

It would literally suck your shirt into the radiator when you stand next to it. In fact after that point it was never able to get to properly operating temperature.

Here is a quick mspaint image to help show what I did. I am a research nut and found many aftermarket fans will not hold up over time to our kind of abuse. Find a good OEM fan from something running an V8. And never get rid of the fan shroud.

Paul

Comment

Bear Chow set up works really good,,, will cool the motor all the way down.

I could get pic if someone wants them.

I like haveing a electric fan. I can turn it off to let the motor warm up and turn it on once it is warmed up. Then if I go into deep water or mud I can turn it off while I am in there and not worry about the fan hitting anything bc of the water.

Comment

sweet...i just bought a new fan clutch if i still keep gettin hot im goin to conert or add a fan to the front im just worried about air restriction when the fan is not on

Comment

Working...
                  X