Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My on-board welder project(The Hillbuilt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My on-board welder project(The Hillbuilt)

Since I started wheeling theres always been a desire to carry everything a person needs to get off the trail. Including a on-board welder ,after checking the price of a store bought one .Well lets just say I had to come up with a cheaper option..
    The Hillbuilt was born.

A 130 amp alternator I picked up at U-pull &Pay for 25.00 bucks..

The custom made bracket.

The install ,removed the a/c compressor and bolted the custom made bracket to the mount.

The first weld with a set of jumper cables as the leads.. Heck it was a test couldn't believe it turned out that well.. I had one hand on the welding lead and the other on the throttle speeding up the engine for amps.

So the Hillbuilt is borned ( Trademark and patent pending)

A video to follow ..

Comments,Concerns,and input welcome.

Nick
    Last edited by Coppertop; 10-11-2009, 12:20 AM.
    Just a 200 dollar cherokee that wouldn't start ..
    Ten years later same chrome grille ..

Sweet!

I know there's a way to bump up the idle, but I'll be damned if I can think how at the moment...

And I guess you have to signal the new alt when you want it to charge, right? So it doesn't run all the time?

Details, son! Details!

(Otherwise, how the hell are the rest of us supposed to infringe on your patents?!?)

Robert
    DIRTY DEEDS, DONE DIRT CHEAP
    Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stranger

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
      Sweet!

I know there's a way to bump up the idle, but I'll be damned if I can think how at the moment...

And I guess you have to signal the new alt when you want it to charge, right? So it doesn't run all the time?

Details, son! Details!

(Otherwise, how the hell are the rest of us supposed to infringe on your patents?!?)

Robert
      Yes all good questions my friend..

The throttle. I'm thinkin' bike lever shifter & cable assy.

The wiring is still work in progress. Yes it will not run all the time.. Input welcome..

Nick

Comment

Did a little searchin...

Apparently, the later (post-renix) Police-issue XJ's had an "Extended Idle" switch that'd bump the idle about a grand.

Kicker is, the PCMs are all the same, so the circuitry is there. Find the right lead, ground it through a switch on the dash, and bingo.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35197

Post #21 is where it starts getting good...

Robert

Comment

Nice work Bud Hmm... very interesting.

Reconsidering the bike cable...

Nick

Comment

More info worth mentioning...

The alternator...
            As mentioned purchased from You Pull & Pay for 25.00 bucks.
            Removed from a 1998 Ford Expedition 4.6 engine.
            It's a Auto Zone Reman Duralast Part# DL350-16 130 amp.

The wiring...
            To get the alt to charge and/or weld I did the following.
            The orange wire on the A terminal of the regulator was supplied with constant 12 volts.
            The green wire on the I terminal of the regulator was supplied with 12 volts when I was ready to weld.
            The output terminal for the welding lead and /or battery charging connection.
            The ground lead was clamped to the alt body and to the metal being welded.

I'm thinking about making a elect box.. Guess I could buy one I have seen several different ones on other welding setups.

My goal to keep it simple and on the cheap. Out of pocket so far 35.00 Bucks

Nick

Comment

So did you just run a switch or a relay to supply the 12V to the alt. ? Also I plan on running my AC with a second alternator with a second V-belt pulley and stuffing the alt. in somewhere. Also, I like the idea of a clutch on the second alt. to reduce the load but might just make it easy to adjust for the belt and just put the belt on when I want to weld. So have you made anything to adjust the throttle position to adjust the power?
              88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

87 XJ - D44 - Disco D30 - 235's - 231TC - Stock for now

Comment

Originally posted by RuffedUpXJ View Post
                So did you just run a switch or a relay to supply the 12V to the alt. ? So have you made anything to adjust the throttle position to adjust the power?
                I'm still deciding on the final switch and wiring set-up... I ran out of time to work on it this weekend .. It will be a few weeks before I'm back on the project.

I like Robert's (Wrenchmonkey) post about wiring in a high idle switch.

Nick

Comment

Sweet.....I like it
                  06 TJ, 8.8 Aussied, 4.88's and 35" KM2's

Comment

Another idea would be to take a look at the cruise control setups on XJs & replace that cable with another "bike cable" type of setup that you could position at a certain RPM when welding was required.

Comment

Originally posted by kb9qdi View Post
                      Sweet.....I like it
                      Thanks. I'm amazed how it welds.

Originally posted by jfiscus View Post
                      Another idea would be to take a look at the cruise control setups on XJs & replace that cable with another "bike cable" type of setup that you could position at a certain RPM when welding was required.
                      Yep, the bike cable is a great idea and I was going this route till Robert found the High Switch set-up. Good point on the bike cable allowing you to set it at certain RPMS.

Decisions,Decisions...

Nick

Comment

Well, if you're going to wire a switch to engage the second alternator, you could get a double-acting switch that'd do both at once: trigger the alt and the high-idle.

In fact, I could get you a big manly one you could mount right under the hood, next to the alt, so you hook up the cables, flip the "on/off" switch, and go.

Robert

Comment

Did you just go to UPullandPay and asked what cars had a higher amp alternator? Also, I am planing the bike cable ish idea for the adjustablity.

I am putting in a control box under the hood with the switch there since I will have to hook the cables up and adjust the idle.
                          88 XJ - 5" lift - 35" BFG's - Bumpers - Rock Rails - Homebrewed OBA - Roof Rack - Tube Doors - Trimmed - Dented

Comment

Originally posted by WrenchMonkey View Post
                            In fact, I could get you a big manly one you could mount right under the hood, next to the alt, so you hook up the cables, flip the "on/off" switch, and go.

Robert
                            Hmm. Like your thinking..If not to much trouble,maybe a pic of the switch.

Originally posted by RuffedUpXJ View Post
                            Did you just go to UPullandPay and asked what cars had a higher amp alternator? Also, I am planing the bike cable ish idea for the adjustablity.

I am putting in a control box under the hood with the switch there since I will have to hook the cables up and adjust the idle.
                            Sorta, I went down there and checked all the fords.. Sometimes I've seen newer alts on them. Once I found the donor. I called a friend at O-Reilys he looked up the alt for that vehicle. If it's a full size with all the elect accessories, it should be a high amp alt.

Yep, My control box will be similar to yours.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Coppertop View Post
                              Sorta, I went down there and checked all the fords.. Sometimes I've seen newer alts on them. Once I found the donor. I called a friend at O-Reilys he looked up the alt for that vehicle. If it's a full size with all the elect accessories, it should be a high amp alt.

Yep, My control box will be similar to yours.

Nick
                              I picked up part of my control box today from Radio Shack. I am planing on using the quick disconnect welding ends and like 20' of leads. So one thing I am thinking I will wait on is the panel gauge. I have all the wire between the Alt and control box but need leads and disco's and the stringer/clamp. So hopefully a call to a good friend will net me all of those. I guess working at a steel erection company in the summers might pay off.

I am got some work ahead of me since I am keeping my AC comp since it houses my OBA. So I haven't figured out if the battert is moving or the air box is out of the picture.

Comment

Working...
                              X